Author Topic: Lairs and graves in Selkirk, Brierylaw - completed.  (Read 10764 times)

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lairs and graves in Selkirk, Brierylaw - completed.
« on: Saturday 01 May 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
A very helpful lady from the Galashiels Cemeteries Office provided me last year with the history of the lairs and interments of my direct ancestors from Selkirk. My g-g-uncle William Brunton bought 4 lairs (H.33-H.36) in Brierylaw in 1873, and I now have the occupancy of each, up to and including my grandfather, William Lockie, in 1966.

I've also bought the CD of Brierylaw monumental inscriptions from the Borders FHS, and none of the interments in these 4 lairs resulted in a gravestone and/or MI.

I visited Brierylaw last week and couldn't find any link between lairs and graves. Am I missing something or is there no map of, or any other way to, cross reference between lairs and graves?

Chaltis
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lairs and graves in Selkirk, Brierylaw
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Chaltis

I'm looking at Selkirk Brierylaw & Shawfield for Borders FHS and could have a look at how the council plan matches up with our plan for you.
It is surprisingly common for families not to have a headstone on the grave.  There is also the risk that the stone may have fallen and broken and unfortunately, many stones are no longer to be found in cemeteries.
I'll be down in Gala later this week so will visit the Heatheryett office as well, and hopefully will get some info that will help you
Regards
Elma

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Elma,

That's very kind of you.

If you find a council map of Brierylaw including lairs, it would be great to know how lairs H.33-H.36 line up with the Borders FHS map of graves - then I can find just where my ancestors were buried.

I think my ancestors didn't arrange to erect gravestones. They were either too poor or didn't need markers for visitors - most lived within a mile of Brierylaw in Dovecot Park, and would have known the location of a particular grave.

For the record, the interments were of:
Agnes Brunton 1873
William Brunton 1874
Ewen Angus 1949
Ellen Angus (born Ellen Orr) 1961
Margaret Orr 1909
Jemima Lockie (born Jemima Orr) 1939
William Lockie 1966
James Orr 1924
Elizabeth Orr (born Elizabeth Chisholm) 1926
Agnes Orr 1964
Elizabeth Orr 1958

Regards, Chaltis
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Chaltis

It took me a bit longer than I had planned but I have been to both Brierylaw and to the Bereavment Services Office @ Heatheryett and I have part of the answer.

Section H of the Councils lair plan is the same as Row 1 of Section G on the BFHS plan which includes stones 969 – 987. This section is the one that is closest to the burn and boundary with Shawfield.

I couldn’t find any marker stones to show exactly where plots 33 – 36 were but we do have the details of Stone 980 for your Margaret Orr 1909, James Orr 1924, Elizabeth Orr (born Elizabeth Chisholm) 1926. 

Inscription on the stone is : In memory of JAMES ORR 1845-1924 and his wife BETSY CHISHOLM 1846-1926 and their daughter JANET 1879-1882 MARGARET KENNEDY 1875-1909. 

This stone is at a gap in the hedge and there are plots on both the left and right hand side of this stone which don’t have any markers.  I thought it might have been possible that the stones had fallen backwards through the hedge but I didn’t see any which would match.

Hope the above is useful

Elma

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
Elma,

Thank you so much for your efforts, and the information you've provided. It's just what I was looking for.

The next time we are in Selkirk, I'll be able to visit Brierylaw and maybe place some flowers on the graves.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Chaltis

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
For the record, the interments were of:
Agnes Brunton 1873
William Brunton 1874

Sorry to drag up an old post.

Are these 2 people above the babies of William Tait Brunton B. 30 Sep 1831 and Agnes Orr, who later emigrated to New South Wales? In which case, as both died in infancy, that may explain the lack of headstones.

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lairs and graves in Selkirk, Brierylaw - completed.
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's right. Agnes Orr was my g-g-aunt. I knew they'd been buried in Brierylaw because I had the record of purchase of the lairs by William Tait Brunton but I wanted to know where the graves were physically on the ground. I've now found where they are (right down at the bottom by the entrance to path by the stream). There is one relevant gravestone.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i notice Sheils is one of the families you are researching. Do they come from the Ashkirk area Rox/Selkirk?

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 13 12:51 GMT (UK) »
May I be so bold as to ask whos gravestone?

I'm sadly missing a death record for one of Williams fathers brothers.

Of an interesting note (to me anyways), Williams sister Betty/Elizabeth/Eliza Born 11 Oct 1833 has 3 illigitimate children

Janet Inglis B. 01 Sep 1852 at Catslacknow
Mary Elizabeth B. Jan 1858 at Yarrowford
Robert B. Oct 1860 at Catlslackburn