Author Topic: Joel SINGLETON/Mary PATCH  (Read 12611 times)

Offline daves67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joel SINGLETON/Mary PATCH
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
As a follow up.

In the Winsham parish records there are references to Singletons as far back as 1660. It is 4.2 miles from Chillington to Winsham so may be of interest.

One other thing to consider is county border changes, this area has been affected by changes in the past as you are on the Somerset, Dorset and Devon borders.

Dave
Singleton

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

At least I haven't found any link between the Singletns from Winsham and Chillington.

Who are your ancestors in Winsham?

Carlos.

Offline daves67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Carlos,

Its nice to see the Singleton name turn up in unexpected places :D

My g/g/g/grandfather was John Singleton born c1813 Winsham, his father is believed to also be John though I have not yet proved this and his date of birth. He also had a brother called Daniel I believe.

Some of this info came from another Singleton who is a different branch from John but hence distance cousins. He did mention in our communications though that he believed the Chillington Singletons were cousins of the Winsham Singletons though not proven yet and most of them emigrated to the Americas. This helped explain some issues that I found in my research where Singletons married Singletons :o

Dave
Singleton

Offline M Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

As a descendant of the Chillington Singletons I did some DNA tests to look at my ancient lineage (via FTDNA and Britain's DNA). Surprisingly it came out as Irish Celtic (Irish Sea Modal) with a specific concentration in Leinster. Some other Singletons with origins elsewhere in England have the same DNA type, but the connections go back several hundreds of years. I have been in contact with another Singleton with origins in Winsham, and he is also keen to establish a connection between the two villages with a DNA test: apart from the ancient lines, FTDNA do one that checks on more recent family connections, so I am hoping that this will determine a connection.

Best Regards,
Martin

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 December 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
No idea if this thread is dead as there doesn't seem to be any activity here, but I thought I'd just say hello and let it be known that my GG-grandmother was Harriot Stace (nee Singleton) born in Chillington in 1835. Her father was William Singleton, also of Chillington, born 1802. William's parent's were Thomas, born 1761 in Chillington, and Sarah Singleton (nee Bagwell) of Winsham, born 1767. Thomas' parents were Joel, born c1740, and Mary Singleton (nee Patch), born c1740.

Hope to hear from a fellow Singleton researcher soon.

Jon.
Barwick: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
             Maesteg, Glamorgan
Rawle: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
Williams: Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire/Powys, Wales
Pegg: Corpusty/Saxthorp, Norfolk
Stace: Epping, Essex
Singleton: Chillington, Somerset

Offline M Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 December 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon,

It is good to hear from another cousin - I believe that we would be 5th cousins, as my 3G Grandfather was Simon, born 1804 and brother to William. I continue to scout around for other written sources, but I am concentrating on the DNA front at the moment. The Stace link to the Singletons was also noted in a pedigree on Genes Reunited.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 December 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply, I wasn't expecting to hear back from my post so soon.

Yes, I have Simon listed on my Genes Reunited tree, born 1804 in Chillington. I have a fair few 'problematic' branches on my tree, and the Singleton's are certainly one of them. They've been, and continue to be, a headache.  ;D It's good to know there are fellow researchers active on this forum.

All the best

Jon
Barwick: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
             Maesteg, Glamorgan
Rawle: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
Williams: Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire/Powys, Wales
Pegg: Corpusty/Saxthorp, Norfolk
Stace: Epping, Essex
Singleton: Chillington, Somerset

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 May 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin, John, Reg, everyone!

Just wanted to say hello and see if you guys have found anything new on the Singletons from Chillington. Or the Winsham conexion... all my trails have gone cold.

Unfortunately for me DNA doesn't help for the Singleton purpose, because I've got the Singleton name from an unmarried couple back in 1780 when John Singleton was born, being his parents John Perry and Joan Singleton....

It had been a while since my last login in this page, somehow I bumped into it tonight and found out "new" or better said unread messages from last December.

Still in Mexico

Regards,

Carlos

Offline M Singleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 May 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carlos,

Good to hear from your again! I have been concentrating on the DNA side, and I can understand your predicament. It may be worth seeing if we can follow up the male sibling lines from your female Singleton ancestor. I found a Singleton from Dorset on the Singleton FTDNA project site with similar results to mine, so we followed this up with the most advanced test that FTDNA do on the male line. This showed that the Dorset and Chillington lines separated quite early on, perhaps 650 years ago! These same tests reveal close links with the Byrne family in Ireland, descendants of one of the Leinster royal dynasties. The Dorset line may well be connected to a concentration in the Donhead villages in Wiltshire, not far from Shaftesbury. I really need to set some time aside to follow up this links down to today and encourage some DNA testing.