Author Topic: Sarah Mc curley killed on/at railway ?  (Read 7047 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Mc curley killed on/at railway ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 April 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

History of the Dumbarton railway line is at
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Glasgow_Dumbarton_and_Helensburgh_Railway/body.htm#area

Originally Dumbarton to Bowling was part of the Caledonian and Dunbartonshire but was taken over by NBR
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Caledonian_and_Dumbartonshire_Junction_Railway/frame.htm

Offline snooki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 April 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
thanks for the link

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Snooki,

There was and is, a third station in Dumbarton.  Dalreoch Station is located at the junction of the Balloch, and Helensburgh lines.  The local papers are the "Lennox Herald" and "The Reporter", and both are produced weekly.  I understand that the archives of the former went back to a time before the accident you refer to.  The paper is no longer Dumbarton based, but part of the Scottish and Universal Newspaper Ltd Group, with a contact address at One Central Quay, Glasgow G3 8DA.
Dumbarton Library may be able to assist you as they hold archived copies of the paper.

Regards,
Istrice

Offline paul64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 October 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
ther are 3 stations in dumbarton dalreoch is in the west end high st is still in the same place .paul

Offline paul64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 12 14:13 GMT (UK) »
fatal railway accident
on wednesday lastweek sarah mccurley 12 daughter of george mcurley a shoemaker residing at 71 high st was accidently injured on the railway near dumbarton passenger station. two labourers found her and took her to dr wilsons surgery were she was examined and found to have recieved a severe scalp wound.after the wound was dressed she was able to walk home . it is surmised she had been knocked down by a passing train .on saturday afternoon the poor girl succumed to her injuries which were more severe than first thought she had recieved a fracture of the skull .took from dumbarton news paper 1897
paul64

Offline jgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 August 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Would like to post a correction re Sarah's fathers name. George is not her fathers name.
It is Charles McCurley ,Her mother is Sarah (Okane)
I did not have her as a child of the above. I believe she was born in Ireland, maybe Antrim.

I will look try to locate her grave. I posted she was not buried with her mother.
Surely being hit by a train ??? would result in a more serious injury being sustained.

jgm