Author Topic: pauper burials Southend Argyll  (Read 8369 times)

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
pauper burials Southend Argyll
« on: Tuesday 07 November 06 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Greetings fellow rootchatters

I have read with interest, the links to burials in Kilcolmkeil Southend Argyll. What excellent hard work went into those sites.
I could not find my Ann CONNOR'S burial age 68 in 1876 nor her husband Thomas CONNER age 90 in 1890. Ann's death certificate states she is a paupers wife and Thomas' death certificate says he was a labourer.
Now am wondering that because they were paupers, they were buried in a paupers grave with barely a mark to show. They lived all their lives in Southend Argyll and would reckon that's where they were buried.  Would anyone have information to help me? It would be interesting to get this information and to further find Thomas' birth town in Ireland of which is my brickwall!!
Kind regards
Beverley Canada
Lloyd/Cheshire. Lloyd Halkyn Flint. Lloyd/Llangwyfan. Hughes/Lancashire .Fulton/Lancashire and Scotland.Hendy+Cox+Binner/Devon.Brazier/Kent.Collins+Tribbett/Wiltshire.

Offline conalb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: pauper burials Southend Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
The Registrar's Office in Campbeltown might be able to help you out if you have the dates of deaths.
I can't remember the new address as it was the town Library until a few years ago.  I know they have records of burials in the town cemetery (Kilkerran) so I would think that they would hold the records for the other cemeteries in the area. Connie
Albin, Wilson, McCormick, McAlister

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Connie for your reply. I will look into that.
Beverley
Lloyd/Cheshire. Lloyd Halkyn Flint. Lloyd/Llangwyfan. Hughes/Lancashire .Fulton/Lancashire and Scotland.Hendy+Cox+Binner/Devon.Brazier/Kent.Collins+Tribbett/Wiltshire.

Offline Anne55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverley,

I believe I may be able to help.  My great aunt in Rochdale has a medal that belonged to Thomas Conner from either his school or church in the town in which he lived in Ireland.  I think it was in Tipperary.  I will not be seeing her for several weeks, but I will ask if I can see the medal again and let you have the details.

Regards Anne

Offline Anne55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverley,

sorry I should have said that Thomas Conner was originally a Thomas O'Connor.

Regards Anne

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
From a quick checking of My Ain Folk's listing of Records of the Scottish Poor, it doesn't immediately look as if records have survived for Southend parish (http://www.myainfolk.com/Resources_files/Records_of_the_Scottish_Poor.pdf) but it is probably worth a quick check with Argyll & Bute Archives just in case they are grouped with another parish (http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/archives)  Poor relief records might tell you where they were buried and they usually give details of family and birth place.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverley...
Could name variants help your research ?   As you have already two (Connor and Conner) I found quite a few Conely and Conolly at the Southend Keil cemetery.
 http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/keilchurchyard.php

..., Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input on Conners and various spellings regarding pauper burials Southend Argyll.
I remember trying various paths suggested and was told little had survived in this parish. I am hoping someday somewhere there will be evidence of monies paid to this couple as paupers but that would not help me in finding the birth town in  Ireland of Thomas Connor 1800-1890.
But us family historians never give up!
Kira

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 July 14 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverly !   Are you a member of The Kintyre Forum ?   
Normally I redirect members to RootsChat when they receive incomplete answers..., but this time it’s the contrary.
To give you an example, this is a post I sent out last year concerning Southend.   
http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15167

There are a few on there who are really expert locals and could very well provide you with additional information.

Good luck..., Iain.  :)

PS  I come from Campbeltown and when I was a boy I used to walk to Southend !  A long walk !   Lol !
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3994/scotsguards.jpg

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT