Author Topic: Campbells of Tabert. Mull of Kintyre  (Read 8900 times)

Offline Anniehay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbells of Tabert. Mull of Kintyre
« on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I'm researching my husbands family tree, and it's his great grandad I'm interested in.
His great grandad was Dr Archibald Campbell. He was a master surgeon and was born in Tabert. Mull of Kintyre. He married a Georgina Annie Beaumont. Does anyone have any information about him or who his parents were please. Thank you :-)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells of Tabert. Mull of Kintyre
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat  :)

Looks like the marriage was 3rd quarter 1892 in England(23rd August)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
Most probably attended Edinburgh or Glasgow university, check the student lists.

Skoosh.

Offline Anniehay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Yes he did. Glasgow I think. He's also listed in the medical registers. The problem I have is because of his name, and the amount of Archibald Campbell there are, and not having much information about him other than what I've put up here. That he lived in Nottingham in the family home of Georgina Beaumont (now a posh hotel I believe lol) had at least three children. George, Winifred (known as Norah) and Isabel (died as a child) I have been told he was a Royal Surgeon, though have no proof of this. Could be possible though, because Georgina Beaumont was 5th cousin to the mother of The Queen Mother. Would love to know who his father was. My mother in law used to say that Donald Campbell boat speed guy was a cousin if that's any help :-)

Offline Anniehay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
Yes he married Georgina in 1892.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
Is Archibald's father' name and occupation given on the marriage cert?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Working backwards:

Archibald Campbell graduated 1875 Glasgow
http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH7999&type=P

1871 Census 644/6 Glasgow Barony
145 West Graham Street
Mary McRitchie Head 52 Perth
Neil A Campbell Lodger 17 Student of Medicine Tarbert, Arg
Archd Campbell Lodger 19 Student of Medicine Tarbert, Arg

1861 Census Parish 535 Tarbert Argyll
Glenrollach
Hugh Campbell Head 52 Surgeon of the ? of Physicians, ? Glasgow General; Farmer of 15 acres, 2 Shepherds, 2 Ploughmen & 1 Cow Herd born Lochilphead Arg
Isabella Campbell 52 Barmoor, Arg
Mary Campbell Dau 23
Catherine Campbell 19
James Campbell 17 daughter? I think this must be Jean as in 1851
Jessie Campbell 11 Scholar
Arch Campbell 10 Scholar
Hugh Campbell 7 Scholar
Neil Campbell 7 Scholar
2 female + 1 male servants in residence
All children born Glenrolloch, Tarbert

(This A*ty transcription is all very garbled, the 1871 census has him with 2000 acres, 150 arable – with 5 farm servants in his employ this makes much more sense.  You will need to download the original census page from Scotlands People, see below)

1851 Census 533 South Knapdale
Glenrolloch Farm
Hugh Campbell 40 Surgeon South Knapdale
Isabella Campbell 39 South Knapdale
Mary 13
Isabella 11
Catherine 9
Jean 7
Ann 6
John 4
Jessie 1
2 female + 1 male servants in residence

1841 Census 533 South Knapdale
Glenrolloch House
Hugh Campbell 32 Surgeon Argyll
Isabella Campbell 30 Argyll
Mary Campbell 40 Argyll
Isabella Campbell 2 Argyll
1 female + 1 male servant

1836 Hugh Campbell married Isabella McCalman South Knapdale
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTKD-FLQ

Children’s Baptism records:
http://tinyurl.com/ol2ghwo
Original OPR images available from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Hugh Campbell died intestate 1878, his estate inventory is available from Scotlands People (10 credits each) Also his death cert (6 credits)

CAMPBELL HUGH 24/07/1878 SURGEON, GLENSALLOCH, NEAR TARBERT, D. 09/04/1878 AT BOTHWELL, INTESTATE, ADDITIONAL INVENTORY GIVEN UP 01/11/1879 DUNOON SHERIFF COURT SC51/32/24

CAMPBELL HUGH 01/11/1879 SURGEON, GLENRALLOCH, NEAR TARBERT, D. 09/04/1878 AT BOTHWELL, INTESTATE, ADDITIONAL INVENTORY DUNOON SHERIFF COURT SC51/32/25

Regards, brigau

Offline Anniehay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 August 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Birgau.
I need to get hold of the marriage certificate. At the moment all the family information is at the solicitors, where it has been since mum in laws death due to the Beaumont trust being wound up on her death. What you have found out seems very probably. Thank you very much. Looking at the names of siblings definitely points to the right family, and the fact that the father was a surgeon as well. Isobel (probably taken from Isobella) is the name of my husbands sister, and Archibald had a daughter by that name, and mum in law was Elsa Isobel. Also, mum in laws dad was George Neil. And my husbands uncle was Richard Archibald Neil :-)
I will endeveour to encourage my sister in law to ask the solicitors to release mum in laws papers :-)
Thank you so much for your help.
Just out of interest. Is there any history about the family at all ?? Bit of a shot in the dark there. I've managed to get a lot of Beaumont history together as there's a lot on the internet about them, and I was given a very extensive family tree on them. I'd love to know more about the Campbell family if possible.
I think I may very well have a photo of Hugh as well that was found among my mum in laws things.
 :-)
x

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 August 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
The 1836 marriage cert won’t give you very much detail as it was pre 1855 Civil Registration.  The most useful one for you is Hugh Campbell’s 1878 death cert.  This will give you his father’s name & occupation as well as his mother’s maiden name. Similarly with Isabella (McCalman) Campbell who was still alive in the 1881 census, although you already have her father’s name as John from the record on family search.   There are many Campbell Wills on Scotlands People that possibly relate; the name Archibald is quite prominent. 

I don't know of any specific histories.  Plenty on Clan Campbell of course but you would need to identify Hugh's ancestors first.

brigau