Author Topic: Am I barking up the wrong tree?  (Read 12213 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Am I barking up the wrong tree?
« on: Thursday 03 March 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions regarding the following.

Nellie Frances Griffiths (aged 21) married Stephen Matthew in June 1918 at Hereford Register Office. On the marriage cert. her father is named as James Griffiths occupation Royal Garrison Artillery General Labourer.

Looking for Nellies birth I have found Nellie Frances Griffiths born Mar 1897 at Burghill to Annie Elizabeth Griffiths a domestic servant (no father given).

1901 shows James Griffiths, an ag. lab. aged 26 born Burghill married to Annie aged 26 born Brinsop (?), with daughter Nellie aged 4 born Burghill, all living at Burghill.

1891 using the age of James in 1901 as a guide I find a James aged 16 living with parents Isaac & Mary at Westhope Hill, Hope under Dinsmore. Birth places for all three are given as Hope. Also Isaac and Mary are noted as being deaf.

As yet I haven't been able to track down a marriage between James and Annie.

My question is without a marriage cert for Annie & James what is the likeihood of the 1891 James and family being the right ones?

Also I assume that as no father is named on Nellies birth cert that she was born prior to them marrying and her mother's maiden name was also Griffiths. Maybe they didn't see a need to marry as they already shared a surname????

As I said any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...my head is swimming with Griffiths and I think I'm now just getting myself more and more confused!!!! (doesn't take much!)

Thank you
tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline linnet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Am I barking up the wrong tree?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 05 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the 1881 census there are 2 James Griffiths' born in 1875, one from Hope and 1 from Burghill:

at Burghill:
 Joseph GRIFFITHS   Head   M   Male   41   Puddlestone, Hereford, England   Farm Labourer     
 Fanny GRIFFITHS   Wife   M   Female   29   Burghill, Hereford, England       
 Emma GRIFFITHS   Daur      Female   13   Burghill, Hereford, England   At Home     
 Eliza GRIFFITHS   Daur      Female   10   Burghill, Hereford, England   Scholar     
 George GRIFFITHS   Son      Male   8   Burghill, Hereford, England   Scholar     
 James GRIFFITHS   Son      Male   6   Burghill, Hereford, England   Scholar     
 Ellen GRIFFITHS   Daur      Female   2   Burghill, Hereford, England     

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 05 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you linnet!  I don't suppose I would have seen that if it hit me in the face  ::)

tabitha  :)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 05 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Puzzled by the subject line as I signed on just now, by a tabitha (surely a cat?)barking up a tree.  Fortunately the linnet was not at all startled by the strange utterance...
So pleased that the story had a happy ending, unlike similar tales according to Aesop..!
Sorry about my odd sense of humour - I think I need an early night...
Keith

Offline tabitha

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 05 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Keith....Tabitha is a cat...she is a bit strange I must admit!! Although I haven't heard her bark yet, she's definitely not "normal"........maybe she was a witch's familiar in a previous life (ooh er!!!)......or maybe it's just the effects of living in this household  ::)

tabitha  ;D

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 05 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Tabitha,
Well, it's comforting to know that the last witch was executed in England (Exeter, I believe), in 1682.  But did you know that the Witchcraft Act was not actually repealed until as recently as 1951?
I'm not a walking encyclopaedia, I have to quickly admit, as I've just looked up the entry "Witchcraft" in the "Local History Companion" by Stephen Friar, published by Sutton in 2001.
Anyway, I hope Tabitha keeps barking up those genealogical trees for many years to come...
Best wishes,
Keith

Offline Ess123

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tabatha

I realise that this is a fairly old posting but I noticed that it refers to my great-grandfather James Griffiths.

I would be interested to know your interest in the Griffiths family of burghill if you are still looking at them.

Regards

Burghill, Preston Wynne, Fresgoe, Reay, Scudamore, Maddy, Russell

Offline MrsSheila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 December 08 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Just  logged on to this site and what a surprise to see that you were asking about people I am tracing. My father was the son of Nellie Griffiths and William Matthews, and by obtaining copy certificates I am now up to Joseph Griffiths born c 1838. I am sure by now you have worked out that Nellie, remarried to Charles Hill after the death of William in 1918 - he died when my father was only 11 days old. Nellies father James was married to Annie (nee Griffiths). James Father was called Joseph and he was married to Fanny (nee Watkins). Here the plot thickens because Not only was James Father called Joseph, but Joseph's father was also called Joseph. To make it even more difficult Annie's father was also called Joseph so I am looking for Joseph Griffiths records which could apply to any of the three.
Obviously as you request was original posted some time ago this information will not be of any use to you. However if you have any further info and are happy to share your research I would be glad to hear from you.
Obviously it is so easy to go off in the wrong direction and I hope that the info I have is correct. Records which show James Griffith died during WW1 tie in as they show on these records his wife as Annie and their various children.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ess123 and MrsSheila and welcome to rootschat.   
Tabitha has not been online for a couple of months so the best way to contact her might be via our personal message system.   Click on the name or the green scroll under it and follow the link.  However, new members cannot send messages until they have made three posts so that we ensure they are genuine researchers.  Reply to this and you have one more!
I hope you manage to make contact.
Andrea