Author Topic: Jones - from Clifford or Castle Frome?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Jones - from Clifford or Castle Frome?
« on: Friday 07 February 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hereford folk

I have a real muddle with my Jones ancestors.

Thanks to the help of Rootschatters in another thread
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=658046.msg5038780#msg5038780
I managed to identify the father of James Jones as Edward Jones born about 1802 who on the census states himself to have been born in Clifford, Herefordshire.
From there I found what must be the relevant baptism record in Clifford showing Edward's parents as Evan and Elizabeth Jones, along with a stack of siblings:

Elizabeth 1789
Catherine 1791
John 1794
Mary 1796
Thomas 1799
Mary 1804
James 1807
Catherine 1810.

I began to look for a marriage between Evan Jones and an Elizabeth around 1787 and found a possible one in Castle Frome on 1st March 1788  between Evan Jones and Elizabeth Price.  I discounted this because as far as I can see, Clifford and Castle Frome are on opposite extremes of the county and as I mentioned, Edward Jones claims to have been born in Clifford.

I've come back to this branch of my tree today with access to Ancestry.  To my surprise, I have found Evan Jones and wife Elizabeth with all the children listed above, all in Castle Frome  ???  There's no doubt that it is the same family as all the names and dates are a 100% match.  To confuse matters even further, familysearch has got the family duplicated, showing all the baptisms twice, once in Clifford and again in Castle Frome.

Can anyone help please to ascertain where this family actually came from and if there is an explanation for the recording of the baptisms in two completely different towns?

Many thanks
Bev

Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - from Clifford or Castle Frome?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 14 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Bev - more than Likely Evan was a Husbandman or Ag Lab - so moved around the County to follow work ...common in Herefordshire , which is mainly countryside - not many big cities ..
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - from Clifford or Castle Frome?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply  :)
I appreciate that they probably travelled around, after all son Edward ended up in Birmingham!
However that doesn't explain which town is actually the right one.  Even allowing for mobility, the children would surely only have been christened once.  Supposing that Evan and Elizabeth married in Castle Frome and then went back and forth to Clifford, I have to wonder about the duplicate baptism registers.   ???

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia