Author Topic: Foy Church, Magical Place - Why it's good to visit your ancestors' home  (Read 2381 times)

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foy Church, Magical Place - Why it's good to visit your ancestors' home
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
 :)Today I dragged my two teenagers on the Backney Bridge to Foy circular walk. How beautiful is that walk?!..We saw swans flying, early ducklings and bluebells, not to mention the imposing pillars of Backney rising out of the River Wye.  The footbridge at Foy is a real knee wobbler!

Was intrigued to visit Foy because it had been my great grandmother's home as a child.  She was christened at Brampton Abbots but all her siblings were christened at Foy.  Her name was Alice Goode. I didn't find any relatives in the churchyard :(

We arrived at the church and the doors were wide open.  I felt a little anxious about going inside - totally irrational!

It felt very strange, but lovely at the same time to walk up the aisle that Alice walked up when she married in 1898.

A lovely day and one I won't forget.

Offline sophiewilliams

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foy Church, Magical Place - Why it's good to visit your ancestors' home
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 May 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Today we're walking around Harewood Park, Harewood End, where my grandmother was in service before ww2.  The house is no longer, thanks to a military exercise - where it was basically bombed to bits.  Hopefully Prince Charles will build a new house there soon as it is now Duchy land.  We have walked there before and it's a lovely feeling to be where your ancestors were.

Does/has anyone else experienced this - would love to hear of other's experiences!/special places :)