Author Topic: Hunter family of Haywards Heath  (Read 4016 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Hunter family of Haywards Heath
« on: Tuesday 30 September 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
This is a long shot, but does anyone have details of a Mr/Mrs Hunter, living in Haywards Heath in the 1920s or 1930s who may have run a school, or have been a teacher in a school.

many thanks
Marmnkly
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter family of Haywards Heath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
1938 Kelly's Directory has Mark Oliver Hunter MA living at Upwood Muster Green.    Those are big houses so he could have run a school.  There were dozens of them in HH at that sort of time.
No - under the Commercial bit I see he was a doctor.
No others listed with Hunter surname.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks sillgen
I can now see him in the last census with wife and two children.
I think I also have him (MO Hunter) living at Pellhurst Rookery Way Haywards Heath from 1942  -1953.
I am looking to match the 'adoption' of my great aunt, as a new born baby in 1921 to a Hunter family in Haywards Heath. The mother of my great aunt died weeks after she was born from TB. She may have spent time in a hospital for consumption.
Interestingly, the Alumni Cantabrigienses lists MO Hunter as being in practice in Hatch End in the 1920s, and previously a chest physician. The family of my great aunt were living in Chiswick, so maybe some merit in exploring this further
It doesnt link the school teacher story yet  :)
Marmnkly

Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
When I am next in Cuckfield Museum I will check in the directories they have for the 1920s and see if another Hunter family show up.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks sillgen, that is really kind
Surname Interests

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Later than the time period you have asked about, but possibly of interest, the post WW2 commemorative directory of those who served in WW2 for Cuckfield Urban district (which includes Haywards Heath) lists a Sergeant Campbell J Hunter, RA from Gordon Road.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jill
anything that helps build up possibilities is gratefully received, as my great aunt apparently grew up in Haywards Heath until her marriage abroad in the 1940s,

Marmnkly :)
Surname Interests

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
I looked at various directories for the 20s and 30s and Mark O Hunter is the only one listed.    Of course, a teacher may well not qualify for an entry and without knowing the school you may be stymied.   Was your aunt old enough to be on the electoral roll?

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi sillgen
she was born Margaret Patricia Massey in 1921, and married in India in 1946 (possibly in the Red Cross). She is now deceased.
She married using her birth name, but I'm not sure if she used Hunter growing up.
The name Hunter was recalled from a couple of family members, so I am hopeful it is correct.

Marmnkly
Surname Interests