Author Topic: Death in America of Mary Anne Ryan in 1889, newly immigrated from Ireland  (Read 730 times)

Offline mjob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in America of Mary Anne Ryan in 1889, newly immigrated from Ireland
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Mary Anne Ryan, nee Skehan, arrived in America from Cork with her husband John Ryan and daughter Emma born in Ireland in 1887. They had married in Clonmel, Tipperary in 1883.    She had my grandmother Mary Josephine Ryan on January 31st 1889 in Pennsylvania or possibly Massachusetts but died herself later that spring or summer maybe connected to the aftermath of the Johnstown Flood of 1889.  I would really love to find out where my grandmother was born and details of Mary Anne's death. I assume she is buried in America.  There was an aunt who had also emigrated to America from Ireland and she looked after the two sisters whilst their father returned to Ireland.  John Ryan was born in Clonmel in 1861 and Mary Anne.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death in America of Mary Anne Ryan in 1889, newly immigrated from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

State-wide registration of births in Pennsylvania did not start until 1906, earlier births are registered at the county court houses.

https://familysearch.org/search has a good selection of US records which might be worth a try.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mjob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra- now I won't spend hours looking for what is not available.  I'll have to look into the county court houses once I have worked out which ones are the likely candidates.  I can see my geography will have to improve...
Thanks, mjob

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't give up, new records get added all the time.  Would help if you knew where she was born though. Did grand-mother stay in the USA or return to Ireland ? Do you have the name of the Aunt ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mjob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
Becos' I've been told that Mary Anne died not long after having my grandmother on January 31st, 1889 , due to having to move due to flooding I decided that maybe she was born in Johnstown as there was a catastrophic flood there not very long after.  Nor do I know anything about the aunt and uncle tho' they stayed in America as my grandmother flew to Williamsport in the late 1960's to visit her cousins who she had not seen since she left America.   She and Emma remained in Pennsylvania whilst John returned to Ireland and remarried Margaret Collins in 1892 or so.  I assumed he fetched the girls soon after, but I don't even know when.  Mary Josephine was with him on the night of the 1911 census but I can find none of them on the 1901 census in Ireland.  Very odd.  Thanks, mjob