Author Topic: my grandfather  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: my grandfather
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:24 BST (UK) »
Len, the Boughen family is Maria's family. Maria Boughen Fall who married George Hopkin. We have gone off on a tangent a bit
chasing Maria's family.

It IS complicated and confusing. If you write the names and dates of birth and marriage on a diagramatical tree, it will be a lot easier to follow.

Have you found out when your Uncle Charlie died? I know it is specifically him who you are trying to chase up at the moment, but it would help a lot if you can give us this one piece of information.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
I have tried to look at the family and from Family Search we have:

William Hopkin married Mary Hanes 23.5.1831

George Hammond Hopkin baptised 21.11.1832 Denver, Norfolk with parents William and Mary.

It is likely but I can't see any evidence, that the family descend from the marriage between Francis Hopkin and Sarah Hammond.

There seems also to be a tradition of using the same christian names - this can be seen with the Middlesbrough folk so it is difficult to see relationships - father/son or uncle/nephew etc.

I also hope we haven't confused you too much, Len.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lenhoppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 September 14 22:57 BST (UK) »
sorry groom I was not intending  to be vindictive it was just the thought of the change of trade that puzzled me.
Please forgive my ignorance I am still struggling for instance I thought my great grandfathers name  George second name was Hammond born 1855  this seems logical
at another source I am reading he was named Georg.W.and died 1929 which of course is incorrect as I was born in 1928 so I am guessing he must be a different George although he also was born in 1855 and belonged Middlesbrough
regards Len

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 September 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again Len.

With your family being quite complicated and the same names used in different generations, I think it would be best if you did your own research rather than rely on someone else's. They may have got it wrong. Then you look at it and get even more confused as you are being given contradictory information from a number of sources.

To answer your question:
George Hammond Hopkin was baptised in 1832 in Denver Norfolk. Heywood has found his parents are William and Mary.
George Hammond Hopkin married Maria Boughen Fall in 1854.
George Hammond Hopkin and Maria Boughen Fall had a son named George W Hopkin. George W was born in about 1856 in March, Cambridgeshire.

I hope that clears it up for you.  :)

If I were you I would go slowly and methodically through everything that has been found here on rootschat. Read all the comments carefully and look at all the details of your family found in the various censuses. As you go, putit all down in the form of a diagram.

I expect you have not drawn up a tree yet, which is probably why you are confused.

This is one style of tree which you can print out and write on:
http://www.practicalspreadsheets.com/Family-Tree-Template.html

Here is another:
http://www.eprintablecalendars.com/family-tree/

There are plenty of others online.

I prefer to draw up my own because then I can add all the siblings plus other information, whereas the ones you print out only have very limited space. Still, it might be something to get you started at least. You can always add your own boxes or redraw the diagram to suit your family.

And lastly, once again Len I would like you to tell us if you know when "Uncle (should read) Cousin Charlie" died? :-\

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 21 September 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I don't want to add to the excellent advice here but isn't it 'Cousin Charlie'  :)

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I don't want to add to the excellent advice here but isn't it 'Cousin Charlie'  :)

Heywood

oops, yes it is. Now I'm getting muddled!  :P I'd better change it on my earlier post or poor Len will get even more confused.

Offline Lenhoppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
hi ruskie
I would have though it would be my fathers cousin because I remember my Father mentioning that charlie played a cornet in the salvation army
there  was a Charles W  Hopkin married in Middlesbrough I believe 1920
in 1955 my building  business was about 5 years on when I kept hearing charlie's name as a builder kept cropping up for the next 10 years or more

I have started doing my own research but could do with some information on both Free  BMD and free
Reg for instance  my county and district in both are not mentioned also when referances seem to have no where to place them

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
I have started doing my own research but could do with some information on both Free  BMD and freeReg for instance  my county and district in both are not mentioned also when referances seem to have no where to place them

Hi Len. I'm not sure I understand what is wrong.

Can you give me an example please? Tell me a name, event (birth, marriage or death) and date you are trying to search. Then explain what the problem is with the district and references. I can then try to look it up so I can understand what problem you are having.

Freereg won't be of any use to you unless you are searching for events earlier than 1837.

Use Freebmd for events after 1837.

Remember that the records on both of these sites are being transcribed by volunteers and some districts and areas are not complete yet - both sites are a work in progress.

I'm not sure if you are aware of Freecen: http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl which might be helpful for searching the various censuses. Once again it is not complete, but sometimes you can be lucky enough to find your families. This site can be useful if you do not have a subscription to one of the pay sites which have censuses.

Offline Lenhoppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
hi ruskie
Frankly I just do not know how to fill in bmg  what if I do not know spouse? it also says death age/DOB
what if I do not know death age? what does volume mean?
if I try to put in Charles Hopkin born 1920 got no where

by the way I have put it on paper from my father Walter Hammond hopkin  1900  have got all details of him his father William Walter hopkin 1875    and his father George Hammond hopkin  1855 Norfolk

Also francis hopkin married Sarah Hammond Denver norfolk1789
but their two children son prior born1775 and Ann born1987 again Denver Norfolk

Look at the discrepancy's between marriage and births of their children
not unusual these days but in 1789?