Author Topic: Patrick Fahey Gullane Loughrea  (Read 5006 times)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Fahey Gullane Loughrea
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 11:06 GMT (UK) »
My great great great grandfather was Patrick Fahey who was born either Gullane or Loughrea. Could the two places be interchangeable? We think we have the right chelsea pensioner records although the age is different it certainly matches age on death records if not on census records. It says he was attested in Ballymaster in 1822. Is that in Gallway? we can't find it. He joined the 73rd Regiment of Foot. His daughter Ann was born in Cephalonia Greece in 1843. Any info about Gallway queries or regiment would be greatfully received.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Fahey Gullane Loughrea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I dont know of a place called Gullane but there's a hotel named Gullane's in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway.

http://www.gullaneshotel.com/

It seems to be a surname in the area.

Ballinasloe is about 25km from Loughrea.

I had a look for Ballymaster on the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad - nothing promising in Co. Galway. The closest matches I can see would be -

Ballymascanlan     Louth
Ballymassy         Tipperary, N.R.
Ballymastone           Dublin

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I wonder if Ballymassy might be it. Perhaps it was written by an englishman who couldn't quite make out the Gallway accent.

Offline Gabriel74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, new to the site... but found this whilst researching my own family line ...(johnson/spain/fahey)

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=pavone&id=I21666

Is this the Fahey connection you were looking for?

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Jake is my brother we are doing the research together. and so yes is same family. Have replied to your PM. Family Legend has Patrick Fahey as a bugle boy in Crimean war. The only Fahey I could find was a drunken butcher who stole an officers sword and horse and won a medal as he was in the charge of the light brigade and managed to kill a few and survive. Can't find if he was related. Part of the family legend was round a sword my grandfather had but have found that this was most probably not an army sword but a policemans sword from another Prescott who was in the police in Wigan. Have you any family legends about the Faheys?

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 June 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Duckweed,

The only Patrick Fahy I can see from Loughrea in the first half of the century was one enlisting in the 73rd in 1822 (born 1804).

In any event, you're looking for the parish of Bullaun, Loughrea (not Gullane). Here's the tithe for your Fahys: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Fahy&firstname=&county=Galway&townland=&parish=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=&pager.offset=110 .

Best of luck.
S.