Author Topic: French St.George Family of Tyrone House Ruin  (Read 9209 times)

Offline Aian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French St.George Family of Tyrone House Ruin
« on: Friday 15 January 10 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any info about the family that lived in the Tyrone House? I've been able to go a few generations back with the surnames French, St. George and St. Lawrence and I have some bits and pieces about the house being burned during the war for independence and it possibly being used as a station for the black and tans and I have looked up the general info about these families on the web so i'm I guess i'm looking for anything else anyone would wish to share with me. Maybe how the family and house were dealt with during the war and why they fell from power. Anything really. thanks

Offline PJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is a Family Failing!
    • View Profile
Re: French St.George Family of Tyrone House Ruin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
See John Grenham's blog in today's Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/irishroots/2013/01/06/tyrone-house/

PJC
IRELAND Baker Barrington Captain Clarke Copplethwaite Cullinane Cutler Doherty Donnelly Geale Gray Greenham Hegarty Hornidge Jefferes Macbeth McAteer McShane Molloy O'Donovan O'Neill O'Sullivan Star Whiteside

ENGLAND Baker Cobb Colley Crake Emberley Hamworth Hosier Readman Stewart

SCOTLAND Baker Leask

WALES Star

FRANCE Baker Bourdonnaye Caudecoste Compeigne Dreux-Breze Hurault Star
ITALY Capitano
AUSTRALIA Baker Cullinane
CANADA Baker Hosier Fifield
MAURITIUS Barrington
USA Barrington Clarke

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 December 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any info about the family that lived in the Tyrone House? I've been able to go a few generations back with the surnames French, St. George and St. Lawrence and I have some bits and pieces about the house being burned during the war for independence and it possibly being used as a station for the black and tans and I have looked up the general info about these families on the web so i'm I guess i'm looking for anything else anyone would wish to share with me. Maybe how the family and house were dealt with during the war and why they fell from power. Anything really. thanks
The Irish Georgian Soc have a booklet about it.
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 December 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Jeffrey French was granted various lands in counties Mayo, Galway, Roscommon and Clare by patent dated 10 Aug 1678. His brother Arthur French of Tyrone, county Galway, Mayor of Galway 1691, had 2 sons Christopher from whom descend the French/St George family of Tyrone and Arthur ancestor of the French family of Cloonyquin, parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon. Patrick French of Brook Lodge, parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway, was a younger son of Christopher of Tyrone. Burke writes that Arthur French, Christopher's heir was involved in a case in the House of Lords 1764-1765 French v Caddell. In 1736 he married Olivia Usher sister of St George Usher St George of Headford, county Galway, created Baron St George of Hatley St George. Their son Christopher assumed the surname St George in 1774 in compliance with his great grandfather's will.

Source.. http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=1579
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Built in 1779 by interprising Christopher French St. George (1754-1820) he got John Roberts (1712-1796) to design Tyrone House.

tells you a lot on this site:
http://www.abandonedireland.com/ty.html

Offline Drinagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 05:53 BST (UK) »
Book now available on Amazon 'Tyrone House and the St George Family', published September 2018.