Author Topic: Henry Powning Stark  (Read 16913 times)

Offline Sally_404

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Powning Stark
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Also, can you tell me whether this is John Powning Stark. No-one in the family seems sure who it is or how he fits in, but it's labelled Uncle Jack South Africa, which suggests that it could be John.
England: Ambrose―Devon & Cornwall; Starkey, Pike & Tuck―Essex; Fryer, Atkinson & Wigglesworth―Yorks; Cockshutt & Walker―Lancs; Thorley & Gee―Cheshire; Hodson, Tuck & Haines―Cambs/Hunts; Goodwin & Tuck ―Herts

Scotland: Finlayson, Harvey & Connell―Glasgow; Anderson―Edinburgh; Craig ―Blantyre; Hamilton―Avondale; Gillies―Berwickshire; Gardiner―Crieff.

Ireland: Frayne & Boardman―Wexford; McGoogan & Butler―Co Antrim; Babe―Co Down; Finnegan― Co Armagh.

South Africa: Lesar, Herman, Fick & Sterrenberg

Offline 0822193945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 21 September 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sally for the two photographs particularly that of Emma Pudney. I would be interested to know which 'lines' you are pursuing. briefly, in case you don't know - Henry Stark was married to Emma, their son John Powning Stark (B 15 march 1868) is my wife's grandfather.  He arrived in South Africa around 1896 from NZ. in 1898 he settled in Springs, a then gold mining town east of Johannesburg. The pic you have of him in military uniform was taken probably between 1899 - 1902 when he served in the Imperial Transport Company in Newcastle, Natal during the Anglo-Boer War. He was a successful (and well connected) businessman in Springs from 1903. He had a number of agencies serving the gold industry. He owned a number of farms and properties. The real estate company bearing his name still operates in springs.
29 December 1904 he married Christina Staude. A daughter Joan Powning was born 10 November 1911. He was mayor of Springs on two occasions. He died on his farm 'Kia Ora' in the Olifantsfontein district of the then Transvaal on 3 November 1950.
Joan corresponded with a Mrs G Begbie of Auckland they were in some way related to the Stark family - any connection? My wife (then Stella Pithey) met a Gertrude Begbie in Auckland in the late 60's. Thanks for your input :) I have a pic of the Begbie ladies if interested. regards Mike Blizzard

Offline Sally_404

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 22 September 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
My connection to the Robinsons etc. is actually very slight: James Atkinson Fryer who married Lillian Maude Robinson was my great-great uncle.
Some time back I managed to contact a descendant of James and Lillian in Tasmania, and she kindly sent a number of photos of both the Fryer and Robinson/Pudney sides of the family.
In some of photos the people weren't identified, which is why I started to investigate the family. This thread has been particularly helpful, so thank you.
England: Ambrose―Devon & Cornwall; Starkey, Pike & Tuck―Essex; Fryer, Atkinson & Wigglesworth―Yorks; Cockshutt & Walker―Lancs; Thorley & Gee―Cheshire; Hodson, Tuck & Haines―Cambs/Hunts; Goodwin & Tuck ―Herts

Scotland: Finlayson, Harvey & Connell―Glasgow; Anderson―Edinburgh; Craig ―Blantyre; Hamilton―Avondale; Gillies―Berwickshire; Gardiner―Crieff.

Ireland: Frayne & Boardman―Wexford; McGoogan & Butler―Co Antrim; Babe―Co Down; Finnegan― Co Armagh.

South Africa: Lesar, Herman, Fick & Sterrenberg

Offline bennydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 05 July 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
How are you related

Offline bennydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 05 July 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
I also have lots of information of David young and family from Timaru, The hendersons from karitane /Timaru and Dunediun and the Allan family please get in contact if you would like any info

Offline bennydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 05 July 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
I am Emma Smith daughter of bernard john henderson son of bernard alfred theodore henderson son of ethel may Henderson.  bernard John and David young timaru are cousins. i have lots of history and knowledge of this family as my father still alive

Offline bennydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
I am happy to be contacted about any info for bernard alfred theodore henderson nz phone (Removed)  I am a grand daughter. I have his son (my father) living with me and have lots of family knowledge including about the young family of Timaru. Mura was named by local maori whom delivered her during a storm when Ethel was unable to get to hospital etc lots of info please contact if need. Regards Emma :D

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number removed

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Bennydog

You've replied on an old topic and the people who previously posted here haven't been online recently.

Although they should get an email notification that you have posted, they might have missed it so I will ask the moderator for this board to send them a personal message.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea