Author Topic: MacLeod family Stornoway  (Read 27407 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod family Stornoway
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Annie's parents marriage  and their parents -

GROS Ref - Vol 88 Page 13

28 February 1867 at Stornoway, Lewis. According to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland

Kenneth McLeod, Fisherman, Bach, Garrabost, aged 27. Parents -Angus MacLeod, crofter, and Catherine, maiden surname MacDonald

and

Ann Smith, spin, aged 26. Parents - Donald Smith, crofter and Ann, maiden surname, MacLeod

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
 :o WOW Gadget this is brilliant thank you so much i am amazed at what you have found out already. Hope that gale doesn't get to bad! I live near the sea down here in Somerset and it's blowing a good un down here. Brrrrrr cold too.  :) :)
Louise x
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

I've just asked my co-partner in crime searching, Monica, to come help  ;D  We'll see what we can do to get siblingsof these couples and may be their parents.

Gadget  :)

PS the Ullapool- Stornoway Ferry is not running, yet again, and my line is going down every 5 mins!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

A point to remember when searching on IGI is that extracts of births/marriages stop for Scotland around 1874/5. After this point your only source will be Scotlands People. Censuses can also help out to fill out the births along to the way (although naturally won't show any early deaths):

Father: Kenneth Macleod, Mother: Margaret Macleay

1. CATHERINE MCLEOD Birth: 01 FEB 1874 Barvas, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. DONALD MACLEOD  Birth: 22 NOV 1871 Barvas, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

Father: Angus MacLeod   Mother: Catherine MacDonald

Best fit for a marriage, a submitted entry:

ANGUS MAC LEOD  Marriages: Spouse: CATHERINE MC DONALD    
Marriage:  13 NOV 1822  Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

and children showing:

1. MURDO MAC LEOD  Birth: APR 1843/ Christening: 27 MAY 1844 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. JOHN MAC LEOD Birth: JAN 1839/ Christening: 27 MAY 1844 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
3. MARGARET MAC LEOD Birth: APR 1840/ Christening: 03 APR 1843 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
4. DONALD MAC LEOD Birth: 01 APR 1831/ Christening: 13 JUN 1831 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
5. KENNETH MAC LEOD Birth: AUG 1837/ Christening: 27 MAY 1844 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
6. MARY MAC LEOD   Birth: 22 SEP 1835/ Christening: 20 MAR 1836 Stornoway, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

A big health warning on the pre-1855 entries for Kenneth and siblings. Given how common the names are in the area, the entries I have listed below may belong to more than one couple. Also there are a number of submitted entries as well as actual extracts (with varying dates). With this is mind, the best route would be to verify the family (children)  through the censuses (1841-61).

Regards.

Monica

PS: I'm out this PM, I'll have a go on the other lines for you tomorrow if somebody else doesn't in the meantime!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

The baptisms of the children of /Kenneth McLeod and Ann Smith who married Stornoway, 1867, parents of Annie Macleod:

All Stornoway-
10 Jan 1868, Donald
8 April 1870, Anne
17 Nov 1871, Angus
20 Aug 1874, Kenneth

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Louise

I'm having trouble finding the marriages of:

John McLeod and Catherine Matheson
George McLeay and Catherine McDonald
Donald Smith and Ann McLeod

This could be that they were irregular marriages or that the ups and downs of my line is causing me to miss something. It might be worth you having a go with the IGI Batch numbers that I sent you.

Gadget

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 09:29 GMT (UK) »
HI Louise and Gadget

I think this research is going to have to be for the long haul, breaking down each line and verifying as you go (as normal really!). The issues (as I know too well with my MacDonalds in the Highlands) is the combination of same names/dates/submitted v. actual extracts on IGI.

Gadget, the marriages you listed in your earlier post are there on IGI but only as submitted entries (multiple and varying dates in some cases) so hard to be difinitive.

Louise, I think with the information that Gadget has provided to you from the marriage certs. including parents' names, should act as the framework. You need to go back starting from the censuses and work back slowly, recording as you go and using each piece of info to verify and act as your stepping stones backwards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I have attempted to produce two direct line trees for Flora's parents to make things clearer and provide a framework:

Grandparents Grt Grandparents Grtx2 Grandparents

John McLeod
Kenneth McLeod
Catherine Matheson
Donald McLeod
George McLeay
Margaret McLeay
Catherine MacDonald

Angus McLeod
Kenneth McLeod
Catherine MacDonald
Annie McLeod
Donald Smith
Ann Smith
Ann McLeod

Hope this helps

Gadget

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget & Monica,

I really can't thank you enough for what information you have given me in the last 24 hrs. I really appreciate everything you have both done for me. It will help me so much to find out the rest of the info i need. I have told my mum the new info today and she is really amazed, she is even thinking about maybe taking a trip up to Stornoway next year, as she would love to visit the places my nan always lovingly talked about.

You have both mentioned the IGI as i'm new to this can you tell me what this stands for.

Louise x :) :-* :)
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.