Author Topic: Fleming/Murroe  (Read 13995 times)

Offline flemmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fleming/Murroe
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Linda,
When you go, let me know. I didn't realise Sharon was a a local. i thought she was an Aussie too. But if you can't be an Aussie, next best is an Irish lass from Limerick.
Her photos make me want to be there too.
The kids are a bit young just yet but one day soon.
Cheers and thanks so much. Stay in touch.
Flemmo

Offline sgibbons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
I know this chat chain is older, but I'm also looking for information on the whereabouts of the family of John Fleming & Mary McNamara from Murroe.

John Fleming was a tenant farmer in townland of Mongfune around 1851 per the Griffiths Valuation. There was a Daniel Fleming that was a tenant in Mongfune per the Tithe Applotment of 1826.

John and Mary Fleming had several children. Their eldest daughter Ellen married William Fitzgibbon and can be found living in Mongfune with her family per the 1901 census.

Names of godparents, such as Catherine Fleming, Eliza Fleming, John Fleming, William Fleming and Timothy Fleming are listed on the baptism records of Ellen's children in the period 1870- 1875.

Is anyone familiar with this particular Fleming family from Murroe?

S. Gibbons

Offline BLPG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 February 21 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have a family of Flemings from Murroe, Limerick and would love to find family back there or here in Australia. Any help would be appreciatedI have the following:

Martin Fleming married to Mary Redden
children
Patrick fleming born 1829 Murroe
Margaret Fleming born 1832 Murroe
Catherine Fleming born abt 1836 came to Victoria, Australia
Bridget abt 1839 Murroe
Laurence abt 1840 Murroe, came to Victoria, Australia
Michael Fleming abt 1843 Murroe
Elizabeth Fleming abt 1845 Murroe
John Fleming abt 0847 Murroe
John Patrick Fleming abt 1880 Murroe married Margaret Berkery and came to Victoria, Australia

Regards
Linda
Australia

Hi Linda

I trust you are still on this website.

I believe my great grandparents are "John Patrick Fleming abt 1880 Murroe married Margaret Berkery and came to Victoria, Australia". I am not 100% sure they are, more like 95% sure!
I have just retired and started researching my family tree.

My sister informed me that my mum (who passed away in 2005) said to her a number of years ago that my grandmother's (maiden name Fleming) mother's (i.e. my great grandmother) maiden name was Berkery. So I did a "trove" search and found the death notice for Margaret Berkery. She died in 1899 at 52 years of age in Victoria and it appears both my great grandparents were the school teachers at a little town in the Western district called "Milloo" and it states in the death notice that she came from Murroe in Limerick (see attached pic). I was surprised to see that her husband (great grandfather) also appears to have been born in Ireland as well. I didn't know these facts until this week. I found you by typing Fleming/Murroe in Google.

I remember my mum saying to me many times that her mother (i.e. my grandmother, another Margaret, referred to as "Maggie") grew up in Elmore in Victoria. So I was very excited to see that Milloo is only 30 km from Elmore. My grandmother was born in 1884, but my sister cannot find her Australian birth certificate. So I am wondering whether she may have been born in Ireland. Which would be a revelation!

Anyway, Maggie Fleming (my grandmother) married George Vincent Rutherford (born 1871) in Victoria in the early 1900s (not exactly certain of date). As you can see, he was 13 years her senior. They had 7 children (4 girls and 3 boys). The second youngest child was my mum, who was born in 1916. Maggie passed away in 1946, aged 62. George died in 1954, aged 83. They would have had in total 46 grandchildren; one of those being me (ah, those Catholics!) and "too-many-to-count" great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren!!!!. They both died before I was born (in 1958).

Just a little bit of trivia; Maggie Fleming would have been Daryl Somers' great aunt. Yes, Daryl has a Fleming heritage! My mum was first cousin to Daryl's mum and my mum wore Daryl's mum's wedding dress when she got married....I did meet Daryl's mum on one occasion but have never met Daryl!

So that is it for now. I hope you get this notice and I look forward to further correspondence.

Kind regards
Brian