Author Topic: Johnston's of Aughnacloy  (Read 1557 times)

Offline janette1169

• I am sorry but my email address is not longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnston's of Aughnacloy
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am searching for my family who lived in the Aughnacloy area of Tyrone. The father's name was James Johnston. His wife is unknown at the moment. He had five children... Robert around 1810, Anne 1824,Thomas 1825, Martha 1831, Margaret 1840.

I do not have a date of birth for James. All his children settled and married in the USA apart from Thomas, he settled in Croydon , Surrey, after serving in the Royal artillery till 1866. Thomas is my 3x great grandfather.

Through Thomas' military records we do know he was born Aughaloe( or is it Aughaloo).I am assuming his siblings may have been born in the same area.

I did have some information regarding a couple of Johnston families that lived on land in the Dunmacmay area. I did try to research this but didn't get very far. I seem to hit bricks walls when it comes to research in Ireland.

If anyone could help fill in the blanks for a date of birth for James and his wife's name and date of birth also. Any other info be most appreciated too.

Kind regards Janette

Offline BarbK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston's of Aughnacloy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Janette - I too have a hard to research James Johnston in my tree but 2 generations later.  My ggf's sister Mary Ann Miller married a James Johnston 1843-1903 from Aughnacloy.  Had 7 children.   They died in Ohio. Any chance there is a connection?
Barb
Mayo/Roscommon -Cassidy, Doherty
Donegal -   Hewitt, O'Mara
Kerry - Hayes, Regan, Callahan, Roche
Tyrone - Miller, Baird, Johnston
Derry - Lennox, Reynolds, Redfern

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston's of Aughnacloy
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 August 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,

Welcome to RootsChat

We are trying to contact Janette for you but at the moment her emails are not working  :'( have tried to contact her via another website just waiting to hear now.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk