Author Topic: Castlederg Parish, HARPUR  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Gray Ranger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castlederg Parish, HARPUR
« on: Sunday 08 June 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a birth record for Isabella Harpur. She married Andrew Monteith in the Church of Ireland Parish church in Castlederg on the 7th April 1891. Her fathers name is Samuel Harpur, and she was living in Ganvaghan. According to the 1901 and 1911 census, she was born c.1861-66.
But after scrolling through all the usual sites, I just can't find a birth for an Isabella with a father Samuel in the Tyrone area.
Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Chris.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Castlederg Parish, HARPUR
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 June 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
Statutory birth registration only started in Ireland in 1864, so if her birth was before that you won’t find a birth certificate. You might find Isabella’s baptism but that depends on locating the right church. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church. Castlederg is in Ardstraw parish. Unfortunately the Church of Ireland records for that parish for the years prior to 1882 were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin. So it may be that no record survives giving the lady’s baptism or birth details.
Elwyn

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 June 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Maybe you have already looked, but GRONI online records show the birth of an Isabella Harpur on 7 October 1868.  Her mother's name was Denny and the birth was registered in Strabane.  Payment (£2) is required to see the full record.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   For the birth which Glensman found the father's name was Thomas and the mother was Maria Denny. I can find other births for what seems to be this couple but the mother's name is spelled LENNY, Blaney and Blainey. The births were all registered in Strabane or Ardstraw, a sub-district of Strabane.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gray Ranger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Elwyn, Glensman and kingkerswell for your quick replies. I'm sorry I'm late getting back to you, but have had a family crisis and have only just looked at my messages.
Yes, Isabella's fathers name was definately Samuel Harpur, but if what you say Elwyn about those distroyed records, then it seem likely that I'm not going to be able to find the right birth.
Many thanks to you all, and I'm sure I will keep "dipping into" the research sites from time to time, just in case!

Chris.