Author Topic: mcgregor/mmcdonald  (Read 2421 times)

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mcgregor/mmcdonald
« on: Wednesday 24 September 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws here,
Ann McGregor 1775-1820. I am in contact with a researcher on ancestry and she has Ann as the daughter of a Hugh McGregor. The same family on other trees have her father as peter. This is ever so frustrating, would her marriage cert give her fathers name. just wondering because it is so far back. Also I would really appreciate help with getting past Donald McDonald 1776 married to Christina Mcquodale. I really am not lazy honest just tired after 18 years of brick wall research.

sue x

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: mcgregor/mmcdonald
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing from what you've said that Ann might have married around 1800?

I'm wondering if you have found a possible or even a definite marriage record for Ann on one of the index sites like Familysearch? If so, your best option by far would be to find the actual record on ScotlandsPeople and download a copy (under £2 for one record). It is not possible to say in advance how much detail there would be, practice varies so much from parish to parish. Yesterday for example I looked at marriages from 1749 and 1820. The earlier one included fathers' names and occupations whereas the later one had only the date and the name of the husband and wife.  Always look at the original record, you could be missing vital detail otherwise.

Otherwise you will need to post more details here - where did Ann live, who did she marry etc etc

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
It's quite rare to find the names of parents in Scottish church marriage records, but looking at the OPR image on the ScotlandsPeople site sometimes produces useful extra information so is always worth the small cost.

One way of attempting to pinpoint possible parents of Scottish ancestors is to look at what they called their children. Most, but by no means all, people used the Scottish naming pattern, so the first two boys and first two girls often have their grandparent's first names.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
thank you

Sue x

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
My Ann McGregor abt 1776 married John Clark probably abt 1800 all their children were born in Lismore, Argyll. I have had a browse at several tree on (A ) and they have her married to a John paton, my John Clark and a John cairns. I wish like you say marriages are ordered to check.
I think we have more than 1 Ann McGregor here. I am hopeing my Ann may have married in Lismore, Appin or somewhere near.

Sue  ???  ::)  :-\