Author Topic: The D'Assigny family of Jersey  (Read 21028 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The D'Assigny family of Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 March 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
Can you send me your email address as a personal message. Seems I can't sent an attachment as a personal message so I will need your email address. Regards Lisa

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
Pierre D'Assigny married Marguerite Courtois on 22 December 1635 at the French Church Threadneedle Street London.  She must have died within the year as he then married Elizabeth Marie, daughter of Nathaniel Marie, Pasteur of the church,  on 3 December 1636.  On 1 February 1637 he was appointed school master in Hackney and on 29 August 1638 he was appointed Rector of St Helier Jersey.  He remained on Jersey until 1643 when he was forced to flee in the wake of taking part in an unsuccessful stand against the the Royalists.  He went Norwich where his wife's uncle Pierre deLaune was Pasteur of the Waloon church. His time in Norwich was contentious.  He returned to Jersey in 1651 when the island was taken by the Parliament and became Pasteur at St Martin.  Elizabeth died in 1653 and in 1654 he married Marguerite Nicolle.  He appears to have returned to Norwich as Marius' academic record of graduation  in 1668 refers to him being the son of the rector at Norwich.

Pierre and Elizabeth Marie had four children - Elizabeth, Philippe, Marius and Jean.  There were three more children with Marguerite - Marguerites 1 and 2 and Pierre. 

Elizabeth Marie was the grand daughter of Guillaume DeLauneM Huguenot refugee, cleric and physician - and that opens up a remarkable family line for anyone who hasn't gone there yet.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 May 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Leyleinoz thank you for the information. Do you have any information of Pierre father Daniel?

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 May 13 05:31 BST (UK) »
The only reference I have found to Pierre's life before he turned up in London is that he was a former monk.  Has anybody found proof of his father being Daniel?  There seems to be no proof of his parentage or birthplace.

I think I am pretty much finished with Pierre and have moved on to his wife, Elizabeth Marie's family - a very rich seam to follow.  Marius' wife, Elizabeth Effard, has also been a wonderful line to follow, and his brother, Philippe, has been fun - a real live pirate in the family.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 May 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks. I descend from Marguerite Nicolle then through Marguerite the one surviving daughter and only surviving child from this marriage who married Jean Messervy. They then had only one child Sara baptised 1685 at St Martin.

Offline IJD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 July 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Information about Pierre D’Assigny’s early life appears in William Prynne’s 1645 pamphlet ‘The Lyar Confounded’ wherein Pierre is called a “zealous popish monk” who left his orders “some say for incontinency”. But this reference was intended as defamation, and might not be trustworthy.

Another source, Jean Chevalier (who kept a diary in Jersey during the years 1643-1651 and is witness to much of Pierre's activity), called Pierre D’Assigny “an alien, who had been a monk, and changed sides, God knows why”.

A more romantic view comes from a letter written by Pierre’s son, Marius D’Assigny, in April 1709, stating that “my father…left his Contry and Relations for his Conscience, being descended from a Noble family of Britany.”

When Pierre D’Assigny was married on 20th November 1636, at the French Church, Threadneedle Street, London, to Elizabeth Marie, the marriage entry describes him as the son of Daniel D’assigny, deceased, and as being a native of Authon du Perche, France.

That's all I have found out about Pierre D'Assigny's pre-British life. His stated place of origin, Authon du Perche, is not in Britanny. The name D'Assigny is a prominent family in the Auxerre area of France, but I have not yet found any D'Assignys in Authon, and of the 16th/17th Century Breton D'Assignys that I have found, none are called Daniel or Pierre.

There were two members of the D'Assigny family who came to England from France in the time of Henry VIII and of Charles II. Interestingly the later one was the wife of a Pierre D'Assigny of the Auxerre branch, but any connection to the Pierre D'Assigny of Jersey is not known.   

Offline Lavandula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 March 14 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Just found out that Pierre D'Assigny is my eighth great grandfather.  I am fascinated to read about his life

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. How are you related to Pierre? Lisa

Offline Lavandula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile