Author Topic: Thomas Goodman abt 1766  (Read 1238 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Thomas Goodman abt 1766
« on: Monday 21 April 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am researching Thomas Goodman born abt 1766 Wiltshire. I am also on the Hertfordshire forum as Thomas lived and died in Hertfordshire. He married Zylpah Harding in Rickmansworth Hertfordshire in 1795 and had several children. He later remarried Mary Purseler in Watford although there doesn't appear to have been any children from that union.

Some of his descendants and myself have been trying, for some time, to discover who his parents were. There is no obvious record of his birth in Wilts either. On the Rickmansworth, West Hyde, census, 1851, HO107/1714, 8, 469, his place of birth is down as Rushall or Russell, Wilts. He died later in 1851 and is buried at West Hyde. Previously Rushall and some other places were searched, on my behalf, in Wilts but without any success.

Recently, Maddie from Rootschat Herts forum, noted that the name Russell may have been used in the past, whilst meaning Rushall. It was while reading the account of the hanging of John Goodman at Devizes, Wilts in the 1800s. He refers to Russell and an area quite near to Rushall. It did confirm to us also that there were Goodman people around that particular area. Other than the Rev. G. Goodman who came later.

I have put a request in the Wiltshire newspaper for any male Goodman, descendant from the Wiltshire Goodman people, 1700s-1800s, who may be willing to take a DNA test at no cost to him. However, I have not had any luck with that either. Please pass on my request if you should know of any likely person. Also if you can throw any light on my struggle I would be grateful. 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Goodman abt 1766
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Probably covered in your "other places" searches but just in case had you noted there are Goodmans (Goodmen?) in Easton Royal (7 miles from Rushall) in 1841.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, thank you for your comment. I did very recently notice on the 1841 census that there were Goodman people in Harris Lane, I think that was the name of the place. Is that the area that you are also referring to? I noticed, in particular, how the Christian names were so alike the ones on my tree. Apparently Robert was an unusual name for those times and there was a Robert in that area too. I hadn't realized how close Easton Royal was to Rushall. Thank you for putting that in prospective.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Yes we are looking at the same folk (the village was called Easton until the 1850s) see map with Harris Lane at  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.aspx?compid=23045&filename=fig16.gif&pubid=105.
Good luck
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia