Author Topic: Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Mick Tait

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack
« on: Sunday 25 November 12 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching the Phelan Family of Boot/Shoe Makers who ended up in Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland England, but who originated from Queens County, Ireland.

It appears that Thomas was born abt 1821.  His mother's name was Ann b. abt 1791.  He married Ellen McCormack b. abt 1821.

I am making a guess that the they have a son, Daniel b. 1844 in Queens County, and then the following children I have from Census documents 1861 & 1871 from Leeds, Yorkshire, England.

Margaret Phelan b. abt 1846 Queens County
Peter Phelan b. abt 1848 Queens County
Thomas Phelan b. abt 1852 Queens County
Mary Phelan b. abt 1855 Leeds, Yorkshire
John Phelan b. Oct 1856 Leeds, Yorkshire

Most of the family were in the Boot Finishing or Shoe making profession.

I have the names Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack from son John's Birth Certificate 1856.

Can anybody help with more information on the birth of Daniel abt 1844, and possibly more details on Thomas's Parents (??? & Ann)

Thank you
Mick.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Mick,

I found the marriage for Thomas Phelan to Ellen Mc Cormack in 1843 in the Parish/District of Mountrath. I have also found the following children born to them:

Margaret Phelan 1845 Mountrath (RC)
Peter Phelan 1848 Mountrath (RC)

I can't find a birth for Thomas in Laois however.

I found these on the Laois section of www.rootsireland.ie

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline MJT29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
This is a big thank you message to Annie Dwyer.

After Mick Tait posted the info about Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack, your reply was a crucial 'gold nugget' as it finally enabled me to narrow down my 30 year search for my great-grandfather - Daniel Phelan's birth in Queen's County to Mountrath.  Using the lead you gave, I was able to get Daniel & Peter Phelan's baptismal records, proving they were brothers and the sons of Thomas & Ellen.  Mick Tait is descended from Peter Phelan and this confirmed this link.  I am in contact with Mick in Australia, another descendant of Daniel in Newcastle and a descendant of Daniel & Peter's youngest brother - John Phelan in Leeds.  It was John's marriage certificate that gave his mother's maiden name of Ellen McCormick and provided the initial lead.

Recently I have been able to view the original Mountrath Parish Registers online and now have the original marriage entry for Thomas & Ellen and the baptismal entries for their Irish-born children: Daniel, Margaret, Peter & Thomas. Their youngest children: Mary and John were born in Leeds after the family emigrated in 1852-3. 
While trawling through the Mountrath registers, I compiled a list of Phelan marriages and baptisms between 1835 and 1866.  I am happy to share these to anyone searching for Phelan ancestors.

Once again, many thanks to Annie for her reply  :)

Offline John MitchellNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Gidday .
      I have a Sarah Phelan , b. 1809 Queens County, Ire.. Parents ; Patrick Phelan and Anne Mahon .
 Sarah marr . Michael Maher , in Waterford , Ire , in 1823 . Five children survived to adulthood .
 Their first child , Julia Mary Maher , b. 28 / 02 / 1826 / 7 ,
This is a big thank you message to Annie Dwyer.

After Mick Tait posted the info about Thomas Phelan and Ellen McCormack, your reply was a crucial 'gold nugget' as it finally enabled me to narrow down my 30 year search for my great-grandfather - Daniel Phelan's birth in Queen's County to Mountrath.  Using the lead you gave, I was able to get Daniel & Peter Phelan's baptismal records, proving they were brothers and the sons of Thomas & Ellen.  Mick Tait is descended from Peter Phelan and this confirmed this link.  I am in contact with Mick in Australia, another descendant of Daniel in Newcastle and a descendant of Daniel & Peter's youngest brother - John Phelan in Leeds.  It was John's marriage certificate that gave his mother's maiden name of Ellen McCormick and provided the initial lead.

Recently I have been able to view the original Mountrath Parish Registers online and now have the original marriage entry for Thomas & Ellen and the baptismal entries for their Irish-born children: Daniel, Margaret, Peter & Thomas. Their youngest children: Mary and John were born in Leeds after the family emigrated in 1852-3. 
While trawling through the Mountrath registers, I compiled a list of Phelan marriages and baptisms between 1835 and 1866.  I am happy to share these to anyone searching for Phelan ancestors.

Once again, many thanks to Annie for her reply  :)
married my gt gt grandfather , John Mitchell , in 1847 , Paramatta , Sydney .
   Michael of the 58 th Regiment .   Sarah died 1918 , Paddington , Sydney .
 Sarah would be my gt gt gt grandmother .

I am interested in your Phelan's .
                                                       New Zealand .
Mitchell Pearson Hill Maher Slade Spearpoint

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
Mountrath burial records;
----
(101); Daniel Phelan; 66-farmer-married-4/11/1958 (b.1892)
(interred by Edward Phelan)
------
(71) Mrs Mary Phelan; 56-married-Cuddagh-29/7/1957 (b.1901)
(interred by Peter Phelan)
==========
Jack
www.genealogylaois.com