Author Topic: Llanaber/Barmouth  (Read 21109 times)

Offline Nann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanaber/Barmouth
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:06 GMT (UK) »
My gggGrandmother was born in Llanaber in about 1802. I think her parents were Owen and Ann Griffiths.
Family stories tell that she worked in the Hunts Cross area Of Liverpool for the family of the Earl of Salisbury where she became pregnant by the Heir. she had her son Mark Owen in Widnes.He became a weelwright/carpenter and the founder of a large family of many branches that all have the same story.In the 1841 census he is an apprentice in St Helens where he spent the rest of his life.
Elizabeth is shown in the Llanaber 1841 census as a female servent.1851 and 1861 finds her back in Liverpool where she was working as houseservant and cook respectivley.
She is back in Barmouth in1871 where she was running the Anchor Inn and was caring for her 2 nieces  Dorothy b 1856 and Margaret Griffith b 1861 Grey. ( Both the girls are shown on the 1861 cesus with their parents Hugh and Mary Gray at the Anchor. Hugh is a Carpenter and Inn holder. Elizabeth & margaret Griffith gray were still there in 1881.
Margaret married John Evans (tailor) and moved to dolgellau where they had 7 children.
Thomas Morris                   b 1882       The name Evans is not shown on the censuses for him.
John Hugh Evans               b 1884
Owen Griffith Evans           b 1887
William Gray Evans            b1890
Griffith Griffith Evans          b1893
Ellen Evans                        b1895
Mary Elizabeth Evans        b1899.

Can anyone give me any info on Elizabeth or Mark prior to 1841?  Did she return to live with her family until Mark was grown? Did Mark help Hugh Grey with his carpentry untill he left to take up his apprenticeship? Do I have the right Parents for Elizabeth? How could Elizabeth, the young Welsh country girl have found work with such an employer as an Earl?
Does any one know if any of the descendents of the Evans family still live in the area as I would love to get in touch.
I would be delighted to hear from anyone with any info which might fill the gaps in my knowledge of my Welsh family.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Llanaber/Barmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 09 02:52 GMT (UK) »
One of Griffith Gray Evan's sons died in the 2nd World War

Gwilym Grey Evans: Private 4208436, 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment, A.A.C. Died at home 16th April1945. Aged 20. Son of Griffith & Elizabeth Catherine Evans of Dolgellau, Merionethshire. Buried in Dolgellau Nonconformist Cemetery.

There was a local character in Dolgellau Bob (Robert) Grey Evans who died abourt 10 years ago. I believe that Bob was a brother of Gwilym, but I am not 100% certain. If I remember rightly Bob was a member of a large extended family, so I'm sure that some of his relations still live in the area. The best way to see if this might be so would be to write to the local paper:

Y Dydd
C/o Cambrian News Ltd
7 Aberystwyth Science Park,
Aberystwyth,
Ceredigion
SY23 3AH

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 09 14:01 GMT (UK) »
One of Griffith Gray Evan's sons died in the 2nd World War

Gwilym Grey Evans: Private 4208436, 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment, A.A.C. Died at home 16th April1945. Aged 20. Son of Griffith & Elizabeth Catherine Evans of Dolgellau, Merionethshire. Buried in Dolgellau Nonconformist Cemetery.

There was a local character in Dolgellau Bob (Robert) Grey Evans who died abourt 10 years ago. I believe that Bob was a brother of Gwilym, but I am not 100% certain. If I remember rightly Bob was a member of a large extended family, so I'm sure that some of his relations still live in the area. The best way to see if this might be so would be to write to the local paper:

Y Dydd
C/o Cambrian News Ltd
7 Aberystwyth Science Park,
Grey Evans
SY23 3AH

If anybody can help, i am looking to get a photograph of Gwilym Grey Evans headstone

phil

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I will be in Dolgellau for the new year celebrations, if I remain sober enough I will see if I can find it and take a photo for you.

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 December 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I will be in Dolgellau for the new year celebrations, if I remain sober enough I will see if I can find it and take a photo for you.

Thanks Dogellau.

Phil

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 05:49 GMT (UK) »
The weather prevented my New Year's visit to my old stamping grounds, but I passed through yesterday, and got a picture of the MI that you were after.

The file image of the photo is too big for this site but here is a preview:

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Let me know how to send you a decent copy of Gwilym Gray's MI to you!

I noticed 3 other "official" military MI's in the same grave yard
74226 Sergeant A M Owen RAF
14411528 Private M M Pugh The Welch Regiment
1941350 Sapper A Jones Royal Engineers

I took photos of them too, in case they may be of interest, let me know if you want copies and how to send them to you if you do!

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 06:15 GMT (UK) »
For Nonn a couple of MI's for the wider Gray Evans family, again lt me know how to send better versions (and translations) if needed!

Offline Nann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dolgellau,
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to tell me a little about about my wider familyand especially for the MI photos. All are very clear but I would be grateful for translations of the two Welsh ones.
Kind regards Nan