Author Topic: A first mystery marriage?  (Read 4460 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A first mystery marriage?
« on: Friday 10 May 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could solve a condundrum for me.My great great Aunt Ellen Windsor(born 1844 in Ellesmere,Shropshire to John Windsor and Mary Jones married Edward Windsor in 1875 in Corwen,Merionethshire  in a civil marriage.He was a policeman and was Ellens first half cousin.They both shared the same grandfather.I was looking through the newspaper archives and Ellen supposedly married on the 11th April 1864 at Llansylio Church to John Douglas of Coedterdynn near Langollen by the Reverend Jones.It was in the Wrexham Advertiser dated the 16th April 1864 and the name of her father is right(John Windsor)who was of Canal Cottage,Langollen.The problem is that no marriage exists in the records despite endless searches of this first marriage and in 1875 when Ellen marries Edward Windsor she is listed as spinster and name Windsor and with no occupation of Canal Cottage and father is listed as John who is a labourer.Why would she revert back to Windsor and why is there is no record of her in 1871 either?Who was John Douglas and where did he go?Could anyone have any ideas on how to solve this conundrum??Thank you.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: A first mystery marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
Does it actually say in the Wrexham paper that "Ellen Windsor married John Douglas" etc  ???

Wondering if it was just an announcement of the impending marriage but it never occurred for some reason, hence no record  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
The paper was dated the 16th April 1864 and it was the Wrexham Advertiser and it states that the marriage took place on the 11th April 1864 by the Reverend Jones at Lansyllio Church and she was the youngest daughter of John Windsor of Canal Cottage,Langollen.It only mentions John Douglas as spouse and nothing else in regards to him.Hope this helps!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
I've checked the newspaper and it's clearly there!

I've just looked at the Llantysilio records and there is no marriage entry between December 19 1863 and May 9 1864. Rev Jones was the incumbent.

At the moment the only  thing that I can think of is that the announcement was forwarded to the newspaper before the marriage date and it didn't take place or there was an anullment for some reason. However, if there was an anullment, I would expect to see some alteration/note in the register. I'm not really up on 19th century anullments. Divorce would require an Act of Parliament and was a bit too expensive for ordinary people.

Very odd :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
Oh how interesting!I thought of annulment and divorce but I am not very expert at this sort of thing and I thought it would be unlikely also.I am really intrigued now as I knew nothing of this.Any help would be appreciated but I think it might struggle as I know nothing about John Douglas or where Ellen was in 1871 either.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure where Coed terddyn is either and I grew up in the area and went to school in Llangollen.  Some ancestors were from Llantysilio - wonder if it's Coed merddyn  :-\

I'll see what I can find but he's not in Llangollen in 1861 - but parts of Llangollen were missing in that year  :(
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you,Any help always appreciated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it's  Coed Hyrddyn:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tw3/

Herthin/ Terthin might sound the same!

It doesn't help much but at least we have a reference point!

PS it might be in the Maes yr Ychen township - my ancestors lived at Tan y Coed. They might well have known the Windsors - next page on census!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 21:50 BST (UK) »

This doesn`t solve the problem but -
In the marriage announcement  - it is John Windsor  of  Canal Cottage, Langollen. John Douglas of Coedterdynn

Llangollen Advertiser 14 December 1877.
Deaths.
December 13th, aged 68, Mr. John Windsor, Coed Herddyn, near Llangollen,
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)