Author Topic: Cartes de Visite Album, Page 45  (Read 1600 times)

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cartes de Visite Album, Page 45
« on: Monday 14 April 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
I have my grandmother's grandmother's album of some 150 Cartes de Visite, with not very many of them identified.    I have scanned the empty pages, and front & back of each card. 

Can you tell me what date each of these is from, please?  That will help me to establish the year of birth, which just might enable me to identify the subject !  Information about the Studio would be of interest, too.

Page 44 contains two men and a woman, and a "place".

I'm posting the lo-res versions, so please don't bother to try to improve them.

I am gathering the comments to store in a file alongside the pictures, and, when finished, it will be quite a task to analyse them all and draw deductions as to the identity of some currently unknown.

For Page 44, see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=683957.0 
which also contain links to the previous pages.
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cartes de Visite Album, Page 45
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
45A - I have absolutely NO idea who this is !

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
45B - nor who this is !

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
45C - bears the caption, "Lodge to Bryn-y-Neuadd (John Platt, Esq.)"

Go to Google Maps at
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.253209,-3.979019,3a,75y,348.92h,81.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sz3fWKB9vXjirc3Ypmzf_1g!2e0
and it shows a lodge called "Platt's Farm Bunkhouse" - which is certainly not the lodge shown in 45C !  Though the proximity of the stream suggests this may be the same location. 

The implication is that "Bryn Y Neuadd Hospital" is built on the Site of a "stately home" of the same name.

http://www.llanfairfechan.org.uk/newsite/about-llanfairfechan/history/bryn-y-neuadd/  tells us that:-
===================
Bryn y Neuadd had and still has a very important role in the history of Llanfairfechan. A house was built on the estate in the 1667 for the Roberts family. The house was later demolished and a mansion was built by John Platt in 1862 after he bought the 130 acre estate, a businessman from Oldham, Lancashire. The family also built Christ Church. The arrival of the Platts in the village brought a lot of much needed work in the community.

Old Bryn y Neuadd Postcard
Old postcard showing Bryn y Neuadd Hall

In 1898 St. Andrews Hospital, Northampton, bought Bryn y Neuadd to provide care for people for what they called “lunatics and idiots.” In 1967 the mansion was demolished and a long stay hospital was constructed on the site, this was at a cost of two and a half million pounds. This was to provide a service for 250 “mentally handicapped” patients from all over North and Mid-Wales. The hospital was opened in 1971; and is still home to many people.
================

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/pdf/CPG004/   gives a description which surely applies to the Lodge shown at 45C :-
=====================
The south-western corner of the park once supplied a separate focus of interest. A
'Grand Lodge', demolished in the 1960s, stood astride the long, western carriage
drive shortly after it entered the park. This was an imposing gothic building with
turrets, a side tower and a central archway. The stream which flows across the corner
was dammed into pools, embellished with rockwork, and decorated with artificial
islands and waterfalls by the firm Pulham & Sons. Artificial, ‘Pulhamite’ stone may
have been employed for some of this work as it was used extensively at Gorddinog,
another Platt family house on the opposite side of the old A55. The bridge across the
stream was immediately in front of the Grand Lodge, and the whole area was
lavishly planted with mixed coniferous and deciduous trees and underplanted with
shrubs, mostly rhododendron and laurel. It would have formed an impressive entry,
followed by the long drive across the park with a sinuous belt of trees on one side and
views across to the sea on the other. This area has suffered very much during the
recent construction of the new A55, everything to the north-west of the Grand
Lodge having been swept away except for a remnant of the plantation. A waterfall and artificial island can still be seen in the stream to the south-east of the drive,
although the shrubbery is now very overgrown.
====================================

Any ideas as to the date of the picture ?

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
... and here is 45D - and I have no idea who he might be !  Again, your suggestions as to date of the picture, and age of the subject, might help establish a date of birth, which then might lead to identification.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Given the diversity of places and subject matter of your collection I would guess that your Grandmother could have been a collector of Cdvs.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
1st. around mid 1860's as Napoleon Sarony who employed Robert Thrupp returned to the USA in 1866.
2nd. mid-late 1860's as she doesn't have the full crinoline of the earlier part of decade.
3rd. 1860's. Simple centre logo typical of this decade.
4th. Early - mid 1870's. Thomas Edge was still in Preston in 1871 but by 1881 was in Llandudno. The square cornered cardstock indicates the earlier half of the decade.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline stpud2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 July 14 04:40 BST (UK) »
The first photo on this page 45A was most likely taken after June 1866. Thrupp had been in partnership with Napoleon Sarony until June 1866. They operated under the name Sarony, Hill and Thrupp from March 1862 untill Feb 1863 when Hill left the partnership. From Feb 1863 until June 1866 they operated under the name of Sarony & Co and in June 1866 when Napoleon Sarony returned to New York he sold his negatives to Robert Thrupp. Thrupp continued to run the business under the name Robert W Thrupp. For at least the first few years he referred to his studio as Robert W Thrupp late Sarony. The Sarony name was such a powerful one in terms of reputation and quality that Thrupp probably wanted to hang on to it as long as possible. I would suggest that this photo was taken between June 1866 and 1870

Steve
https://sites.google.com/site/leedsandbradfordstudios/home/oliver-sarony