Author Topic: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)  (Read 21569 times)

Offline sigismunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
My ancestors had a croft called Marble Quarry at Portsoy from about 1768 till the early 20th century.  Does anyone know anything about it?  I believe it was around 12 acres and in the early days was a market garden for supplying Portsoy.

Jean

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have an Ann Gray, born 1 June 1860 at Marble Quarries, Portsoy, parents Alexander Gray and Ann Grant.  I also have her family in the 1861 and 1871 census if that is any use?

Ann Gray married my first-cousin-three-times-removed James Stewart on 20 June 1879 and had at least four children. However I have yet to find what became of them after 1891.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sigismunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 06 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply about the Grays.

I have a record of Ann Gray's name in the family tree  that my father's uncle drew up in about 1900.  He knew her husband's name, which matches the one you gave, but I know nothing more about her.  II'm descended from her father's young brother John (5.12.1823-15.2.1865).  Please can you apss on the 1861 and 1871 information you have for her.

I have a few bits and pieces about the Grays back to 1745.  Willing to let you have that if you don't have it already.

Jean

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi - I teach in the schools around Portsoy - in fact have just been in the marble shop this week.
The quarry was situated to the west of Portsoy not far from the 17th century harbour. Red and green Portsoy marble (a type of serpentine) became quite a well known export from the village - a  very  distinctive form of marble quarried locally - a bit like Blue John in the Peak District. Portsoy marble is found in Louis XIV's Palace of Versailles.
The marble is still worked locally - you can buy it in the shop down by the harbour.
If you ant me to do any research there I'm there once a week...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline sigismunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that offer.  Actually I was in Portsoy about 5 years ago and went to the Marble Shop, but they had never heard of the croft.  I suspect it has been built over.  I looked at old maps and think I located it but I'm fairly sure it must be part of the new houses to the Cullen side of Portsoy.  That's a guess, however.

Many of my early ancestors fill the old cemetery in Portsoy.  The last of the direct line left at the end of the 19th century.  I believe there were still Grays at Marble Quarry Croft for some time after that, and I do remember a meeting a George Gray when I was very young, in the 1940s.

Jean

Offline ajg141

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I have only just picked up on this thread and hope I can help a little. I have in my possession a copy of a diary dated 1885 titled 'The Genealogy of The Marble Quarry Gray's' given to me by George Moir Gray (d 1986). I can remember as a youngster in the 1950's having had a ruined cottage pointed out to me as being the one referred to in the thread. This was on the track leading from the town to the swimming pool. I have since re-visited but there are no longer any visible remains. The Gray family appear to have run this as a croft.
According to the info I have Ann Gray (spouse of James Stewart employee of The Great North of Scotland Railway) had 13 children.
The John Gray I have (dates coincide) had 6 children.
If I can be of further help I will do my best and if anyone can throw any light on the details of Alexander Gray (b 1740? d 1826) and his wife Jane Boggie I would be grateful.

Andrew

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 January 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
According to the info I have Ann Gray (spouse of James Stewart employee of The Great North of Scotland Railway) had 13 children.

I'd very much appreciate any details you cane let me have about the 13 children.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ajg141

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Nice to hear from you. The information I have is from a family tree drawn up for my late Uncle Gordon Joseph (Cardinal) Gray and was used for his biography by Michael TRB Turnbull in 1994. I did say in my earlier post that I have 13 children but now realise there are 12. Details as follows:
William b1880 d1887: Annie b1882: James b1886: Frances b1886: Jean: Mary: Mina d1928: George d1927: Alexander: Donald d1915: Grant d1926 and Ian. I have no other verification for this information but believe the tree was professionally researched.
My own line comes from William Gray's second marriage to Elspet Young and their youngest son George who married Christina Gordon in 1862.
I am also in possession of a book 'The Gordon Henderson Story' written in 1962 by Janet Henderson that makes reference to 'The Grays of Marble Quarries' and tells the story of Gordon- Gray-Henderson connections. This book does not appear to make mention of the Stewart side.
I hope this is of some help.

Andrew

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Stand by for a PM.