Author Topic: Adoption 1800's  (Read 7678 times)

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption 1800's
« on: Monday 29 July 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
How would I go about finding out about an Adoption in the 1800's. Oral story is my Great Grandfather lost his parents at an early age and was Adopted by the Clarke family of Old Machar Aberdeenshire. Roots chatterer's found him listed with Richard and Kenard Clarke and their two daughters in the 1841 Census. I found the two daughters Births but not James' . Since then this story came to light and that his birth name was James MacDonald Dob around 1837. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
There was no formal adoption process in the 1800s. Orphaned children were often taken on by relatives or neighbours and sometimes are found listed as adopted child in the census. There might be a record in the Kirk Session Minutes if the session was involved in providing parish relief and/or finding a home for an orphan.

FamilySearch has a James McDonald born Old Machar 1837 to George McDonald and Margaret Smith, but James McDonald or MacDonald is a fairly common name so quite a few of that were name were baptised in that area at around that time.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Adoption as we know it today didn't take place in Scotland until 1930 and the majority of adoptions before that were more informal and often within the family. Some charity groups did become involved at different periods of the 19 th century for example Barnardo's etc but they only dealt with a small minority.

As JMStrachan suggests the Kirk Session records may be worth a look as the Church still ran the
Poor Relief at that time.

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
How do I source these "kirk sessions" as I haven't seen a link to such sources? With appreciation chithead

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have a look here about kirk session records

http://www.nas.gov.uk/about/101101.asp

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Juddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 04:01 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for information on someone who was informally adopted in 1896.
It was suggested I look into :
1.        http:www.workhouses.org.uk/Scotland
2.        Kinnermonth

It was also mentioned to me 3. that for illegitimate children an, "Aliment for illegitimate children " was required under Scottish law. I assume this requires the birth parent to give support money to the family looking after the child they informally adopted or looked after.
If anyone has more information on these 3 areas, I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 14 07:59 BST (UK) »
An action for Aliment was an action against the father to establish parentage and liability - in theory it could be raised by anyone involved in the upkeep of a child but it was not compulsory and it was a fairly expensive procedure to go through - it is possible that the Poor Law Commissioners may have gone through with it to recover their costs if they were involved.
You should check the Poor Law Records for the area  which are not unfortunately online

Offline Juddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on Aliment under Scottish Laws.
Another question:
Is there some way to check orphanage records??
I was told to check Kilmacolm Orphanage, Bridge of Weir (only a possibility). It was listed as a place where Martha and Andrew Clark informally/temporarily took children they looked after eg Robert R Mutch b) 1889 and Harry P. Mcdonald (1895) born in Elgin, Moreyshire. (would they get paid for this?)
Harry and Rosanna are listed under the last name Clark in some school records, Robert disappears. My grandmother Rosanna Duncan McWilliam b) 1896 in Aberdeen first shows up in the 1901 census at 4 years old. She continues to live with the Clarks until they die-1905 and 1909. The census shows her at 14 living with the two Clark sister's living on Orchard Street.
I know who her mother was but not her father. I wonder if local orphanage records may have more information? Her birth certificate does not list a father.
Any help or suggestions you could give me would be appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
As JMStrachan suggests the Kirk Session records may be worth a look
They might be.

the Church still ran the Poor Relief at that time.
The Kirk was not responsible for relief of the poor after 1845, when parochial boards were set up for this purpose. The kirk was represented on the parochial boards, but no longer ran the system itself.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.