Author Topic: Surname interests  (Read 22502 times)

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Surname interests
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.

My interests are

Sutton (Bray, Enniskerry, Kilmacanogue and Dublin)
Flynn (Edgeworthstown, Co Longford, Bray and Enniskerry)
St Leger (Bray)
Sinnott (Bray)
Murphy (Bray)
Cremin (Bray)
Doyle (Bray and Dublin)
O'Byrne (Dublin and Bray)
Tobin (Bray and Enniskerry)

anyone else interested in these names?

Regards
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline gp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interests
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

My forbears were Doyles who lived near Kilmacanogue and had a Dairy in Duke street, Dublin. my great great grandmother was Mary Doyle who married Thomas Kavanagh who was the Blacksmith in Kilmacanogue village. I see you also have an interest in the Keenans. Mary Doyle and Thomas Kavanagh's daughter also Mary, was married to William Keenan of Calary. they were my great grandparents.

If you think there is any connection between these Doyles and Keenans and your lot I would love to hear from you

Regards Greg 
Peppard,Mooney,Keenan,Kavanagh,Barry,Kenny,Bruton,Cahill,Rollison.

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg, thanks for replying to my post. They could be related but I couldn't give you a definate yes. My ggg Grandmother was Rosanna Doyle born 1825 in Bray and that is all I know at the moment. Very difficult to find out anything on my Irish side. She married Jeremiah Sutton and they lived in Dublin, the family eventually moved back and lived in Bray and Enniskerry, where my dad was born.
I will ask him whether he recognises the Kavanagh name as being connected to us, as he normally knows what families we are connected too.
As for the Keenan's, they also married into my Sutton family, Michael Keenan 1918 married my g aunt Ann Sutton 1920. They had one daughter that I know of, Pauline Keenan 1959. Michael was a Dublin man.

Regards
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
My names from Bray are Jenkins, Salmon and Dwyer.  The family left during the potato famine.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline carolgriff

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My surnames are NILES - children born in Avoca parish 1847-1862ish. They came to Cumberland England circa 1864. John NILES was born circa 1825 Co Wicklow and his father was John.

SULLIVAN- Bridget married John NILES 1847 Wicklow and settled in Avoca area. Her dad was Patrick SULLIVAN. There arent many SULLIVANS on Griffiths valuation so im thinking they could all be connected?

DONNELLY- John DONNELLY came from County Wicklow to work in the mines at Cumberland England. He was born about 1830 and married an Esther- they had Mary DONNELLY about 1856 in County Wicklow. Its likely John had a sister Julia DONNELLY born County Wicklow circa 1840 - she also came to Cumberland,and their dad was James DONNELLY.

Anyone else connectedor know anything about these families?

Carol
CHARLES COOPER BEDFORDSHIRE, WALL CLEMENS CORNWALL,  LOWTHER RONEY CUMBERLAND, ANDERSON RAMSHAW MULLEN DURHAM, NILES IRELAND, MCMULLEN HORROCKSLANCASHIRE, REED YORKSHIRE

Offline Murphy0507

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 April 08 03:17 BST (UK) »
My parents arrived in Canada in 1954 from Bray, Co. Wicklow. Most common names in the family are Murphy, Doyle, Cotter, Farrell and Case.
Bray, Co. Wicklow - Murphy, Doyle, Cotter, Farrell, Hipple, Hayden, Case

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 May 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
SENNETT/SINNOTT - several siblings who left Wicklow (possibly Rathdrum area) for West Yorkshire in about 1843-1848, including Joseph (b abt 1817-21) and wife Julia Ann nee RYAN, Edward (b about 1819), George, b about 1820. 
Others who left Wicklow for W Yorkshire, and later married into the SENNETT families, including FARRAR, DOYLE, KEARNS/CAIRNS, KENNY/KEANEY/KANEY
RYAN - Julia Ann, b about 1820, and brother John, and father probably John.

While I have a lot of information about these families once they arrived in West Yorkshire (mostly to work in the coal mines), I have yet to confirm exactly where they came from in Ireland.  Census usually gives Co Wicklow, and family stories say Wicklow or Dublin, with one branch of the family believing they originated in Rathdrum. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have some Doyle ancestors from Bray parish, starting with Denis Doyle and Mary Byrne married 1836, children include Denis 1838, Mary 1841, Patrick 1847 and my ancestor Sarah born 1850.

Also in Wicklow I have Fitzsimon ancestors, Ballywaltrin/Killarney townlands,  Bray and a possibile link to Kilmacanogue.

Dillons of Ballymacghroe, Hacketstown

Clarkes, of Kilcarrick/Killcarrig near Delgany

and possibly Cantwell.. not sure of origin yet but married in Bray and lived in Ballywaltrin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline S.O.B

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Next Generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

New to this game - I'm chasing O'Brien back to Kilcoole/Kilquade/Bray prior to 1851, when I've found ggg grandfather James (& brother, Henry) in Coniston, Eng.

Griffiths land val shows 5 x BRIEN heads of household - 2 James, Henry, John & Patrick.  Next step will have to be a visit to NLI in Dublin.

Any possible connection/advice/query?

Thanx v much

Steve
O'Brien
Fittes
Dunne
Byrne
Parnell
Davis
Armer