Author Topic: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890  (Read 11731 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kingskerwell,

Your eyes are much better than mine - I really couldn't read the place of death of Mary - and was trying to fit it in with "Mullagharn".  But with your good deciphering, I have now managed to find a map with Mullanatoomog Rd, close to Mullagharn Rd., - Relatively close to Drumquin, which is close to Segully Rd.,  So it is all looking hopeful, sort of linking - but how on earth to verify for sure?  I know they were catholics, so a couple of years ago, I did emails to local catholic parishes - one replied (Drumquin parish?) - saying no records found, the  other parish never replied. 

I will definitely have to win the lottery - a trip from Australia to Drumquin, to search for local catholic records - to finally figure out if these are Francis and Mary McNab - my great great grandparents....  No other way???  Will try to attach map of the area.. the "yellow road" without name is Mullanatoomog Rd.,
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
If Francis & Mary were born and married in the RC parish of Longfield or Langfield, then a problem you face is that that parish has no baptism or marriage records earlier than 1846. This could be why you were unable to find any record of them when you contacted the parish priest.

I looked for McNab households in Mullonatoomog c 1885, and Mullagharn c 1890 in the revaluation records but none is listed. That doesn’t mean they weren’t living there but just that either they were lodging with someone else, or they didn’t live there long enough to be picked up by the Griffiths clerks or that they had a cabin of too low a value to be listed.

Labourers often moved around a lot and can be notoriously difficult to trace. They are unlikely to have any gravestone either, unless someone else paid for it.

It’s sad that there are no Poor Law admission records for Omagh but in general Irish Poor Law records don’t contain as much info as the Scottish ones (where you get a whole file) and so even if they did exist, you might not have got any more information about the family than you already have. Irish ones are mostly just a line of information in the admissions register, giving personal details plus the reason for admission, and date of departure/death.

A little general information about Omagh workhouse. The infirmary is the only bit still in existence today.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Omagh/

You don’t really get a lot of information on an Irish or English death certificate, compared with Scotland and some other jurisdictions. Can be very frustrating.

Do these dates for the 2 deaths you have found tie in with any Scottish marriage or death certs at all? For example, if one of the children married or died in say 1887, the cert ought to give the mother as dead and the father as alive.
Elwyn

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,

Thanks a million for this further information.  It sure is true that I have been lucky so far to get a lot of my research done in Scottish records - so much easier. 
Your knowledge of the Irish stuff is very helpful.  Francis and Mary had taken their family to Glasgow in 1864, their four adult daughters married and all died there by about 1873, leaving sons Hugh and Patrick.  Son Hugh then drowned at Greenock in March 1884 - and in his death entry there is no indication that either of the parents are dead.  And the only record I can find thereafter is a marriage of their other son Patrick in Glasgow in Feb 1891, where his parents are both said to be deceased.  So your idea is again quite helpful - the Mary I have found died in October 1885 - the father Francis died in June 1890 - both deaths being after son Hugh's death, and before marriage of Patrick.   My Francis and Mary don't seem to  appear at all in Scotland after about 1873 - nor do I find deaths for them - so I am becoming more and more convinced that they went back to Ireland - and I may have actually now found their deaths.....   Fingers crossed.

So again - another tiny bit of positive information - tiny pieces of the jigsaw!!  Sometimes this part of my research feels like one of those 10,000 piece ones - which you just have to keep going back to!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Matt McNabb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
A  Michael McNab (?brother or cousin to my Francis) appears as a visitor to their household in Glasgow census of 1871 and this Michael is said to be about 50 years old.  It appears this Michael had moved to Scotland earlier on - married a woman called Helen Mulvey (Edinburgh connection) - and we know of only one child from the marriage - another Jane McNab who later on migrated to USA.  When this Michael was admitted to the Poorhouse in 1884 he seemed to give his place of birth as "Tugally" Co. Tyrone - this name not seeming to exist at all - and thought to be "Segully".

Hi maggbill, if you are still around..:)  where would I look up the record for the poorhouse admission?

I'm a relative of Rimond and we have made some progress since 2012 but still looking to determine whether this was our Michael or not.  I see he is in the Scotland census as early as 1851 which

Also (just in case you weren't already aware in the meantime) there are now some trees for your Francis on ancestry.com public member trees.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Have received/replied to email.  I have Michael McNabs Poor Law Relief record... will find it for you.
Maggs