Author Topic: Alderney census look up please  (Read 8332 times)

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alderney census look up please
« on: Monday 27 April 09 03:16 BST (UK) »
HI there

I have a family born in Ireland that had  a son John Frederick McAuliffe in 1861 in Alderney Channel Islands.  He was born to John McAuliffe and his wife Mary (nee Achilles... some documents have etcheless but predominantly Achilles)

Would be interested if the family show up on the census.  At that stage I believe they would have had one other child Sophia.

Many thanks
Yvonne
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the 1861 Channel Island census, but I could find no family remotely like the McAuliffes.  Do you have more details, eg ages dates of birth occupations?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 09 03:06 BST (UK) »
OK  reliable sources would put the family in 1861 as:

John Florence McAuliff(e)    Miner/labourer  born  Munster, Cork Ireland age 25
Mary Ann McAuliff        h/d   born Bermondsey, London, England    age  25
Sophia McAuliff           dau   born Donnybrook Ireland  aged   2

Now as I said John Frederick McAuliffe was born 23rd May  1861 in Alderney so depending on what time the census was done may not be there.  Had no way of telling how long the family were there except that daughter before was born in Ireland and the next son was born in  1866 in  Newport....Isle of Wight England.

Was just an interest as to why this son was born in Alderney....  thanks again
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 09 07:34 BST (UK) »
Aha may have an answer!!  A contact was saying John Florence McAuliffe  was a member of the 30th regiment of foot and his children were born when he was on leave so may not be as I thought in that they had some sort of family connections there....

Maybe puzzle solved :-)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 09 07:36 BST (UK) »
This may not be relevant but about this time the Alderney Breakwater was built involving 1,200 labourers being brought in. There may be a connection.

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/52/Alderney.htm

Stewart

Offline ferndale

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuz,

Glad to see you are keeping up the research.  Trish Ivy and I had lunch the other day.
All's Well.  Hope you are at that end.

I hope this is not too long winded but will try and supply the info I have.

Jonh Florence McAuliffe Married Mary Ann Achilles (Or variations) in 1858 in Dublin Ireland.  John supposedly Born Kanturk, Newmarket, County CorkAbt. 1836.

Mary was born (apparently)  1840 Dublin,Ireland daughter of Ausust(Augustine) Achilles of Brunswick, Germany and Mary Ann Fenner possibly Phinian and also possibly of German extraction.
John McAuliffe was in the Army but family rumour has it that he was "shanhighed" into army for being in possession of an "Illegal coin"!! Sentensed to 7 yrs transportation but  released after 3 yrs.  Were the British Army after cannon fodder??? Will supply further info when I find it in my disorganised files.  sorry. I think this was in 1851.  Apparently they used to go over to England from Ireland to go to the football.(Source National Archives)

I also have another reference to a "John McAuliffe" wounded Thursday 27/9/1855
General Simpson Despatches, 21 Regiment.

John was supposedly in the 30th Reg of Foot. On John's Death Cert Qld Aust, his occupation was listed as army pensioner, but no number.

Childrens Births
Sophia Born St Mary's, Dublin Ireland 4/3/1859, Donnybrook Co., Dublin Ireland
(have Cert)
John Frederick McAuliffe  Alderney, Channel Islands. B 23/3/1861 Baptised31/3/1861  Have Birth Cert.

Patrick John McAuliffe B 7/10/1863, Newport. Isle O'Wight.

Next child Dominic was born 27/5/1866 at Rockhampton Qld

The shipping records for this family have been lost in the Queensland Floods in the late 1800's.

Summing up  They left for Australia between 1864-66 possibly travelling with 3-5 children (possibly 2 miscarages)

There is a John McAuliffe form County Cork on the 1861 Census at Palace  Barracks in London (sorry having a mental blank), back to my misplaced records.

Our other family link is August Achilles.
August is father of Mary Ann Achilles, wife of John Florence McAuliffe.
~~~~~~~~---------------------

found ancestry com.   29/8/10

England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869

Immigration & Travel

Name:  August Achilles
Departure:  location
Arrival:  date - Hull, England
Residence:  location
-

FOUND 4/12/09

Found National Archives 2/7/07

Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents WO 97/724/4
AUGUST ACHILLES Born BRAUNSCHWING, Brunswick Served in 60th Foot Regiment; Foreign Regiment Discharged aged 48 Covering date gives year of discharge. . AUGUST ACHILLES Born BRAUNSCHWING, Brunswick Served in 60th Foot Regiment; Foreign Regiment Discharged

Date: 1833.

Born Abt. 1785 Died 1864 Glasnevin, Dublin Ireland. August's wife Mary Ann Fenner died Union Workhouse, South Dublin, 15/6/1875,  (No Death Certs.
Record Summary
Scope and content AUGUST ACHILLES
Born BRAUNSCHWING, Brunswick
Served in 60th Foot Regiment; Foreign Regiment
Discharged aged 48
Covering date gives year of discharge.  
Covering dates 1833
Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years  
Held by The National Archives, Kew  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this of some help to our fellow searchers.  
I guess we would be happy with army pension numbers, where was Mary and the 3 kids in 1861, John's birth parents of which we have too sets!!!!!!

Would love to find out about their service travels, if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers ferndale

BOYCE/PEAR, CHAMBERLAIN/SPENCER, FULLELOVE, NOTTS/LEICS/DERBY AREA
MULLER, SCHMIDT KNOLL, MOHR, WAHRY, OTTO, SCHULZ, AHNER SCHIEFELBEIN, HURLSTONE, VANSTONE,EASTERBROOK, BRANDENBERG, KRIESCH,
AUST/GERMANY/PRUSSIA AREAS
STAPLETON, NSW,VIC,SA,QLD/UK
McAULIFFE,COUNTY CORK/AUST
ACHILLES, BRAUNSCHWING/BRUNSWICK/ IRELAND
FENNER,ELLIS, HALPIN, IRELAND

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I am a McAuliffe descendant living in Queensland, Australia. My line through John Florence is his 4th son Dominick born 27 May 1866 Rockhampton.  Dominick married Elizabeth Strang on 24 May 1895 in Charters Towers Queensland. Their second son Leslie Dominic (Roy) McAuliffe born 30 July 1896 was my Grandfather. He married Lucinda Jane Bartels and their daughter, Jean McAuliffe was my mother.  I am grateful for the information on Mary Achilles as I only had her name and information that she was born in Dublin in 1840.  My grandmother used to say there was Greek heritage in the family somewhere and the name 'Achilles' led me to believe that may be the path, but now I see your information says she was from Germany.  Have either of you heard any stories of Greek heritage somewhere?
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Keb Brutre

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
@AlanaGrace

It may be a pure coincidence, but there was a Bartels family (mulatto) that ended up in the Channel Islands.  Their original root (ie. the Bartels name) also lies in Braunsweich in Germany...