Author Topic: Marriage for Eliza E Ann Eustache and John Sears (and other Eustache)  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage for Eliza E Ann Eustache and John Sears (and other Eustache)
« on: Saturday 20 July 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi - I know that the above two were married and had children from 1888 onwards. I would like a date of marriage if possible.

Also, the siblings of Eliza.

She had a brother Alphonse born around 1854? Not sure if he was born in Jersey or France. Would love a date of birth and marriage (any children?)

Emilie, born around 1856 (possibly France?) - if a marriage can be found and again, any children???

Thomas Edward Phillippe married Mary J Bennett but don't know the year - 1893, 1900, 1908 - would like a date of marriage and dates of births of children.

(I have Marie's details except her birth in Portbail, France - not much I can do about that.
Have also found Jean's details as well).

If anyone can be so kind as to help, I'd appreciate it - am trying to trace any living relatives I have from the Eustache famille!!!

thank you

Phil

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for Eliza E Ann Eustache and John Sears (and other Eustache)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

I have been giving your request some initial investigations and it has thrown up a few questions rather than answers.

A quick look at the marriages from 1880 to 1888 has not highlighted an EEAE/JS marriage. How did you work out that they were married in Jersey and that they had children after 1888 as I can't see them on a 1891 census? What were their children's names?

Without this marriage I cannot work out EEAE's siblings as I don't know her father.

But it's not all bad news.

I can see a baptism in St. Martin for Emily Honorie Eustache, 15th May 1856. Parents were Jean Eustache and Honorine du Chemin.

The same parents also had Elizabeth Ann Eustache, baptised 14th Jun 1868, born 22nd May 1868.

I can see a marriage for Thomas Edward Phillippe Eustache. However, not to Mary J Bennett, but to Jean Marie Rouault. This was again in St. Martin on 12th Apr 1891. He was aged 25 years and from St. Martin whilst she was aged 20 years and from Cote du Nord. His father was Jeanne and hers Pierre. How did you get the name Bennett?

They had at least 3 children that I can see:

30th Apr 1892: Annie Jane Thomsine
23rd Oct 1894: Eugenie Louisa
17th Oct 1897: Thomas James Simon

Cotes du Nord is now known since 1990 as Cotes du Armor. You might find this site useful although it's in French www.genealogie22.org/fr/

Could you have a think about what I have written and where you would like to go next?

Stewart

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Stewart - as usual, an enormous thank you for your findings - I'm trying to think where I obtained Mary Bennett........having looked up the 1911 census though, Thomas is a widower (but not in 1901) with his widowed mother (Honorine) and a son Thomas...........I'm wondering if Thomas re-married - can you find out a date of death for Jean Marie?

There is no sign of Eugenie in 1901 or 1911 so it seems she may have died young.....if you could confirm this....

In 1901 census, Jean Eustache and Honorine have a visitor in grandchild William. John Spears and Eliza (Eustache) are living next door with the rest of the family - John, born in England - perhaps they married in England?? (Amelia Spears is 13 and born in St Martins, hence the mention of 1888 in my initial message.....)

The Spears family are on 1891 census - again, "living next door" - The eldest children are John E. who is 14 and William who is 12 so it seems Eliza could be John's 2nd wife?

Phil

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 July 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

As I had to go into St Helier this morning I thought I would have a further look at the Eustache family. Now because the index is in the Archive and the Certificates are in the Registry Office, I have been looking at the Parish Transcripts for St. Martin, which fortunately goes up to 1942, to save me walking between two buildings (I'm getting on!!).

At this point I kind of lost the will to live!

Now, the first name Jean is the equivalent of John whilst Jeanne is the equivalent of Jane (or even Jean). So the transcript for TEPE's marriage is I believe wrong. He (should have) married Jeanne Marie Rouault and his father should be Jean. I realised this when I started looking for a death of Jeanne Marie Rouault.

I came across a death for Jean Eustache (St. Martin deaths, Apr 1892 to Apr 1904, page 467).

I still had the pages open for St. Martin baptisms when I suddenly saw 5 baptisms for children of Eliza Elizabeth Ann Eustache and John Spears. In the title of this posting you have said Sears but in your last posting you said Spears.

5th Jan 1888 - Amekic Eliz Ann
5th Jul 1890 - Bertha Adele
13th Jan 1892 - Susannah
21st Sep 1894 - Thomas Philip
19th Jan 1899 Stanley John

Now, going back to the death of Jean Eustache I thought I'll go and have a look at the certificate. He died 29th Jun 1903 aged 83 years at Faldouet, St Martin from cancer. The noticeable thing is that present at his death was J Spears.

So that leaves me to find a death for Jeanne Marie Eustache nee Rouault between 1901 and 1911 (I have a possible one in St Helier deaths, Mar 1906 to Feb 1908, volume 44, page 30); a death for Eugenie Louisa Eustache between 1894 and 1901; a marriage of John Spears prior to 1884. Can you confirm please?

Leave it with me for a few days as I won't be able to look again until next week. We'll get there in the end!

Stewart

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 July 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Stewart - sorry for the cardinal sin of the error of the surname!!

Please have a look next week for those 3 entries - In the 1891 census, there are also William J Spears (12) and John E Spears (14) living with John + Eliza. (The 1911 census has John snr. as being born in Salford around 1846).

The 1911 census also has a new Spears child in Edward, born around 1902.

Am struggling to find a first wife for John as he was in the military and away, I assume.

Phil

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 July 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Stewart - I have found, online, some records of John Spears first marriage - Emily Major on 2 April 1876. His second marriage produced Stanley John Spears (1899-1901) and Thomas Philip also dying young in 1902.

The information has Emily dying "at sea" on 4 Dec 1884...........If you could confirm any of these....

Phil

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
ONE further request - Alphonse Eustache is in the 1861 census aged 4 but in any subsequent one - I'm wondering if he actually died young? (None of this particular family is not in the 1871 census)

Phil

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 July 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Stewart - I have found a death for a Thomas Eustache, aged 16 in the district of Alverstoke, Hampshire in the quarter September 1914 - seems likely this is Thomas although what he was doing here, who knows??

Did you find a marriage for Emilie Honorine?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

This is what I have found:

2nd Apr 1876, marriage of John Spears at St. Helier Parish Church, aged 29 years and a bachelor. He was a soldier on the 29th Regiment and although living in St. Helier was born in Manchester. His father was James Spears, a musician. His wife was Emelia Major aged 20 years and a spinster. She was living in St. Helier but was born in St. Saviour. Her father's name was stated as just Major (no first name) and was a labourer. Witnesses were Francis Byrne and Jane Browne. Ref: St Helier marriages, Feb 1875 to Jul 1878, page 132.

7th Oct 1906, in St. Helier at 24 Pier Road, the death of Jeanne Rouault wife of Thomas Philippe Edouard Eustache, She was aged 39 years and died from pneumonie. TPEE was present at her death. Ref: St. Helier deaths, Mar 1906 to Feb 1908, volume 44, page 30.

I cannot see a death between 1861 and 1871 of Alphonse Eustache.

I could not see a death for Eugenie Louisa Eustache between 1894 and 1901 but I need to look at this one again

William J Spears and John E Spears were born in England.

There is nothing in the "Deaths at Sea Register" for Emily Spears.

The following is a list of all the Spears burials in St. Martins:

26 Apr 1907 - William James, 3 weeks.
11 Feb 1912 - John, aged 63 years.
21 Jul 1918 - William James, 5 years
15 Mar 1922 -John, 2 days
11 Jul 1941 - William James, 62 years

Stewart