Author Topic: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s  (Read 13869 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Managed to go there today and found the grave - sadly no headstone for wee George - but I will arrange for a small memorial to put there to mark his memory. 

RIP George.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline lostintimeandpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 August 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Fever Hospital in the early 1970s

Opposite (where the police station now is) was the poor house

(both photos came from peebles auld bletherers page).

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 August 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - thanks very much for posting these two photos - I really appreciate it.  It all helps to add to the story of George's short life.

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Andrew Johnston

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
The fever hospital became the County Hospital on Rosetta Road opposite the County Buildings

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew - I think it has now been redeveloped - but I know exactly where it is now.

Thanks again

Osprey

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
Placed a small memorial vase there for George this week - at least now there is something to mark his short life.  RIP George.

Osprey

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Photo Here

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
 :) You have my hero feather today. I want to cry seeing that photo...in a good happy way. Amazing of you to have done this for George  :-*

Big hugs, Osprey.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 October 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica

The credit is not exclusively mine - I have a fantastic cousin (our fathers were brothers of George)he is into genealogy too and we share our research - we split the cost of the memorial and laid it together.  We must have looked a suspicious pair on Saturday wandering into the graveyard during a heavy rain shower whilst carrying a spade.

I remember wandering around there for hours looking in vain for the grave around 15 years ago - thank goodness that the council have digitised the records now.  You can't search them personally but there is an on line contact form and they will search for you.  We all know that occasionally going over your old research can pay dividends - it did for me this time.

I have attached a photo - George is the youngest boy with 2 of his older brothers - I date this in the summer 1925 - he died of Diphtheria in January the following year.  His two younger siblings aged 2 (my cousin's father) and a baby all had it at the same time - they survived.    At the time the photo was taken my Grandmother's spinster sister was visiting them - she had a bronchitis attack and died in their house - she was only 45.  It must have been a tough time for my grandparents then.

Osprey