Author Topic: Stumped re: BAPTISMAL RECORDS"  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Lamstree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stumped re: BAPTISMAL RECORDS"
« on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Any chance one of you guys can advise how I might obtain a copy of a DRC baptismal record for a Susarah Johanna van Nieuwenhuizen, born Sept, 1885 in Venterstad. I am also looking for her sister Aletta, born around 1881. The former appears in the index pages of the NG Kerk on FamilySearch.org. I am trying to locate the names of their parents, my great, great grandparents. 
Thanks in advance for any help.
Lel

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Stumped re: BAPTISMAL RECORDS"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
If the records are not on Familysearch your only option is to ask GISA if they can look in their copy of the records.
They do charge for the service  about R450 for 3 hours search and they will transcribe and send you the information
If you want photographs of the records it's an additional R25 for each photo. If you send them the details from the index they will find the information pretty quickly
As an alternative you could order a copy of the SAG entry for the family name that may help you identify the information
regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 13:47 BST (UK) »

If the entry appears on Family Search, there is usually an image to go with it which you can view, it should give the parents names.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Lamstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much gmauchan. Very helpful response. I've emailed them the details for a price quote. Have been working on this for a few years so hopefully they will have the baptismal records I need to make a break through. Either way, I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. (:

Offline Lamstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response 3sillydogs.
Usually that's what I've found too....unfortunately, not Susara's baptism. I've looked everywhere. Unless there's something I'm missing, it's in the index but no image. ):

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Susara
Under the Stellenbosch records there is a file NG KERK that is an index of baptisms you have to go through images to read the index - which is useful to find some on familysearch - I found a Guest baptism for a child I didn't now existed, however Familysearch either doesn't have or hasn't yet uploaded all the years and locations that index covers.
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Lamstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks  gmauchan....that was actually where I found her baptismal date...(took years before I stumbled across the index, which is very helpful...when you know it's there) but can't seem to find the actual record. It's also not available (NGK Venterstad for those years) on microfilm, which is odd....not sure where to go from here. Do you have any suggestions given the above?
Susarah is actually my great grandmother's sister. Have been examining this avenue to locate my great grandmother's parents, as it has so far proven impossible no matter which path I pursue to locate her (my great grandmother's) records.
Is it possible to obtain record directly from the NGK from outside the country? If so, do you know how I can best pursue this option? I've just gotten more confused each time I've looked into this option.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

One more thing, I case you have any suggestions....My great grandmother (Aletta) was born around 1881. From what I understand, the Dutch Reformed church in Venterstad was formed a couple of years later. From what I can tell online, the most likely churches people from Ventrrstad would have been going to would have been Burgersdorp or Colesberg...But so far I haven't been able to locate anything in those towns either.