Author Topic: Joseph Newman Mayers stationed in India?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Newman Mayers stationed in India?
« on: Sunday 10 June 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out some information about Joseph Newman Mayers (or Myers). His daughter Ruby Gwendoline Hutton Mayers was born I think in India (I don't know where exactly) circa 1890 and on a marriage certificate (her second marriage) I have for her it says her father was a soldier (deceased by 1933). I have no idea who Ruby's mother was.
Her first marriage to Thomas Hambleton is on Family Search and that was in Secunderabad, Madras, India but I don't have much to go on apart from that. I can't find any birth for her in the UK so I am assuming she was born in India (maybe wrongly). Any info on Joseph would be greatly appreciated!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Newman Mayers stationed in India?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
hi emma
found this in overseas military births for a myers  [ no first name ] royal artillery [ fathers regt ]  1875  vol 315 p 39 .
have checked pension records and no record shows that would correspond to this birth looked for  j n myers/mayers  and no pension record also looked for thomas hambleton but again no pension records for him either just in case he was military , have you looked in  incoming passenger lists on ancestry for any of these folk ? , also looked through cens but so many records under myers/mayers and all other permutations it,s nigh on impossible to find him [ joseph ] .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thomas James Hambleton I have well documented (UK birth certificate and lots of passenger lists on ancestry). He wasn't military. As for Joseph, no I have really drawn a blank. I just got that occupation of 'soldier' from that marriage birth certificate (Ruby marrying a James Henry Symons in India in 1933. James WAS military). Actually on it just says Joseph's name was Joseph Newman. The Mayers or Myers has been left off. Odd one.
Thanks for looking though.

Emma

Offline PHB 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma wondered if you could info re Thomas Hambleton, he was my grandfather. My father was born in India 1922 , mother Gwendoline .  Gwendoline I have was born 1894. She died Gwendoline Symons in Bradford, West Yorkshire 1962.. My Father also named Thomas James Hambleton who died in St Petersburg, Florida. 1922-1997
Thomas Hambleton was in the cotton trade & that's how he was in India, think incorrect date of birth as I have his death certificate & DOB 1902 in Northampton.

On site Mundia.com shows Joseph's wife as Jane Delores 1863-1952 Joseph 1858-1929.
I can't verify it as true tho.

I didn't know my father but have found bits about him, tried to find his sister Barbara Worwick & his last wife's daughter in Pinellas county, florida Maria E Sanchez . Her mother was Dorothy Ainsworth she died 1998 .

Perhaps you may have more info on Thomas James Hambleton which I'd like to know about please?

Thank you.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi pbyorks

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to her profile, Emma hasn't been online here since 2012.

I've sent Emma a personal message to tell her there is a reply but if her email address has changed she won't receive it.

Once your post count gets to 3 and above you can use the personal message system to exchange details off-forum with other members.

Fingers crossed Emma comes back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 03:18 BST (UK) »
according to the 1921 marriage image,,,,Thomas James Hambleton was a private in the Royal 18th Hussars.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did the tree which includes Thomas Hambleton for a friend of mine back in 2012 and I haven't had a look at it for a while. What would you like to know? Could we communicate privately about this? I need to refresh my memory somewhat!

Emma

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

pbyorks needs to come back and reply so they have a higher post count to be able to use the personal message system.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline PHB 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 August 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Pbyorks here.
I would be very interested re Thomas Hambleton tree.
Trying to find info on his wife Clara who he divorced in Florida in 1981
Before he married Dorothy Ainsworth in Aug 1981

Sorry this is late but forgotten I'd posted info on here.

Thanks