Author Topic: Robert Forth 3rd regiment 1st Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards, cap badge  (Read 5527 times)

Offline PaulBol

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Forth 3rd regiment 1st Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards, cap badge
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain,

Some info Uniform of Scots Fusiliers Guards, 1856 its not his photo.

info on Robert Firth he was a Chelsea pensioner,

Private No 1758 Attested (joined) 13 Aug 1833 aged 18 so born circa 1815, Acomb Regiment - Scots Guards Discharge - London 25 Nov 1850 - being unfit for further service Was admitted to hospital Aug 21 1850 with dislocation of the right thumb, the bone was rendered almost bare of flesh; it was with difficulty reduced. In about a week the accident was followed by violent inflamation of the hand and arm and the bone died. Amputation was obliged to be performed on the 14th of September to save the hand and life. The injury was occasioned by his falling off an omnibus in the London Road, a certificate to that effect was sent by an M.d; who had endeavored in vain to reduce the dislocation; about 10 pm. The accident occurred off Duty. Opinion of principal medical officer - London 23 Nov 1850 Unfit in consequence of loss of thumb of right hand

Robert Forth (Firth ) Private No 1758 Scots Guards Court Martial - 30 Oct 1850

Court Martial - 30 Oct 1850 Private Robert Firth No 1758 of Lieut Col Charles Seymour's company, 1st Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards is brought Prisoner before the court. Charge - For having become maimed or mutilated by the loss of the thumb of his right hand at London on or about the 14th day of September 1850. Pleaded not guilty,

Evidence of Surgeon major. Finding - accidental injury so acquitted of intentional mutilation and is unfit for service.

Robert Forth (Firth ) Private No 1758 Private No 1758 Scots Guards ( Personal Stats )

Discharged London 10th December 1850 Age - 35 4/12 years Height - 5 ft 10 1/8 inches Hair - Lt brown Eyes - Hazel Complexion - Fair Trade - Labourer Marks, etc - on the right scapula Intended place of residence - York  Rob Forth 45

Rob Forth 45 occ Pensioner Army/Labourer b Acomb Harriett 36 b York Harriett 18 Daugh occ Milliner b York Charles Son 9 b York Rob Son 4 b Middlesbrough Hannah Daugh 1 b Middlesbrough James Son 18 Occ Seaman b Hull Residing at 15, Richmond Street, Middlesbrough Census

Occupation 1861 Platelayer on Victorian Railway.

Victorian platelayer himself, stated that the platelayer was the ‘most neglected man in the service
1860, W.M. Mills stated that on Britain’s 8863 miles of railway there were 8598 platelayers. Gangs of platelayers were marshalled under a foreman or ganger, and were allocated a section of line to look after. This had to be inspected twice a day and any faults in the track’s gauge, level and superelevation were to be mended by using their picks, shovels, hammers, wrenches and track gauges. They also had to maintain line side fences and keep the culverts clear,[2] as well as retrieve any item that may have fallen from a train.[3] All these tasks were to be done in all weathers.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Interesting man your Guardsman, more interesting I was living in the street opposite Richmond St. Middlesbrough as a boy.
Iain2 pm me if you wish

James

Offline PaulBol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
That is very interesting James.

Paul

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Private Robert Firth No 1758 of Lieut Col Charles Seymour's company, 1st Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards

In the days when commissions were purchased, a Captaincy in a Guards regiment cost the same as a Lt Colonelcy in a 'line' regiment. Hence a Guard's company was commanded by a Captain in the Guards (as normal), who was a Lt Col in the army. Hence the dual rank.

Guards commissions were in short supply and desirable so they would often cost a lot more than the base price.

Ken

Offline PaulBol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Amazing Paul !   Extremely interesting !    I suppose that's not him in the photo ?   Just love that beard..., lol !   
I learned recently that all of Napoleon's personal Guard also had beards !

..., Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As an ex Scots Guardsman I have found this link very interesting.

Please take a look at this site.

http://www.scottishmilitaryarticles.org.uk/smhsarticle_1833_SG.htm

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 09:29 GMT (UK) »
As an ex 1SG Right Flanker extremely imformative link

Thanks
James

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Lol !   I never knew there were so many Scots Guardsmen on here !   Gene..., amazing images !  Pity there are no close-ups of the traditional badge. 

Ken..., extremely interesting !   I had already heard about the officers’ costs; and I’m now wondering if the same parallel can be drawn in relation to the non-commissioned officers ?   

I was told that it was Queen Victoria who decided that Lance Corporals would never again wear just one chevron..., but two.   And a Corporal three..., making him look like a sergeant to everyone else in the army.
I found this aspect amusing as when I was serving and being a Lance-Sergeant, (the equivalent of a Corporal) I could enter and drink in other regimental Sergeants Mess’s.   Something which was frowned upon by those who knew the system !   
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT