Author Topic: marriage lookup St Martin in the Fields, Westminster  (Read 3496 times)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
marriage lookup St Martin in the Fields, Westminster
« on: Wednesday 31 July 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
George Richards married Elizabeth Jane Turner 12 June 1849 according to FamilySearch.  I am looking for the name and occupation of Elizabeth's father.  According to census records she was born in Northumberland (1851, 1871 Felton; 1861, 1881 Mitford; 1891 Netherwitton)  I am trying to see if she connects to my Turners of Netherwitton.  I realize that you are all very busy and hope that someone will be able to check the name for me.
Thanks,
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage lookup St Martin in the Fields, Westminster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Researchers in and around London who are able to go tp the archives and do look-ups are few and far between, you may have a long wait.

In the meantime, you could contact the City of Westminster archives and ask for this look-up as you have the exact date and church

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/libraries/archives/visitor-information/contact/

or purchase a copy of the marriage certificate for £9.25 from the GRO

Marriages Jun 1849
Turner    Elizabeth Jane         St Martin    1   159
George Richards is on the same page

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
hello sue

I will drop in to Westminster archives sometime next week and get back to you with whatever (if any) info is on the microfilm.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 14 05:44 BST (UK) »
Tony,
I realize this was a long time ago, but I am trying to clean up a bunch of my loose ends and realized I hadn't heard back from you.  Let me know if you found the record and it didn't have what I wanted or if you didn't have time to check.
I may be able to make a trip to England in about a year and need to know if I should plan a day in London to check this out.
Thanks,
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

According to his profile Tony hasn't been online here since April. I don't know when he will be back.

I suggested in my earlier reply that, as you had the exact date and church, you could approach Westminster Archives and ask for their help, especially as FindMyPast have yet to put these registers online.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 October 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
hello sue

yes, there has been a lot of water under the bridge as is said. thanks for reminding me, I will check out the request and get back to you in a week or so.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
hello Sue,

apologies for the very long delay in replying, getting on a bit has its downsides.

on the marriage certificate Elizabeth Jane Turners father is named as Anthony Turner, a farmer and George Richards father is named as Henry Richards, a chemist.

George's was a bookseller by trade and his residential address is shown as Stoke Newington (North London) and Elizabeth's is Northumberland.

the witnesses were Thomas Williams and John Wallis (or John W Ellis, not easy to transcribe).

hope this is useful

Tony   

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Thank you so much for this look up.  I just received it as for some reason my email address seemed not to work.  I was looking something else up and noticed a posting about my email not existing.
Sue