Author Topic: Birchall boatmen (on their boats?)  (Read 1802 times)

coffeecup

Birchall boatmen (on their boats?)
« on: Thursday 16 November 06 18:34 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to everyone for the warm welcome, and the tremendous help given in finding my Birchall ancestors. (This topic has carried over from 'help please' as this concerns the Birchall family of Sutton St Helens.)

Joseph Birchall born abt 1790, possibly in Speke is listed as living at Welsh Row Sutton on the 1851 census, a widow, occupation boatman. His sons Joseph W (Worrall) age 23 & Charles M (Martin), coal miners of Sutton are with him. Note the name Birchall had been mistranscibed as Burkett.

I have been attempting to piece the family together, and have reason to beileve that Joseph snr, may have married Ann Topping 10/6/1811 at St Mary's Prescot.

Their son Thomas born 1813 St Helens can be found on the 1851 census in Widnes married to Indianna Nield of Walton Liverpool (marriage 1832 St Martin L'pool), occupation 'waterman' with son Joseph 11, Henry 9 and Anne 1.

In 1861 he is listed as Captain of the barge 'Julia' at Holyhead, with son Joseph as ships mate. He had since been widowed and remarried in St Helens in 1855 to Milicent Bishop of Derby, who is listed as at home in Widnes as a schoolmistress, with Annie 12, and Mary Ellen 8. The census has an addition which states 'head at sea'.

I am unable to locate Thomas or Indianna Birchall and son Joseph in 1841, or Joseph Birchall senior who is not at home in Welsh Row where his wife Ann was, with children Ann 15, Joseph 13 and Charles 8.

Ideally I would like to find these missing people on the 1841 census and the dream find would be that father and son were on the same boat! Here's hoping!

If anyone has links to this family or wishes to contribute or share info I'd be very grateful, and would be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you very much.

Offline titch42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall boatmen (on their boats?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there this is my family also I have made a few discoveries I have linked Joseph 1791 to Isaac and found their birth records

Hope you see this post please get in touch

Regards

Offline watermansearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am new to this. Hope this post works ! My family too. Via Henry son of Joseph (Burkett/Birchall)and Ann (Hannah) Topping. Their marriage 10/6/1811 witnesses Mary Birchall and Isaac Eccleston.  I think Joseph father was Thomas Birchall / Birchill a sailor married to Margaret - unfortunately I can't  now find the record that told me this, just the handwritten note I made, so can't offer more going back! It's lovely to see other people have made the same connections I have though, helps to validate the selections I've made from census etc as it can be very confusing to the beginner when names and dates seem duplicated sometimes but dont match other info and yet changed at other times when everything else matches......Part of the fun I guess.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Watermansearcher.

From www.lan-opc.org.uk

Marriage: 10 Jun 1811 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Joseph Birchall - (X), Sailor, bachelor, Sutton
Ann Topping - (X), spinster, Sutton
Witness: Isaac Eccleston, (X); Mary Birchall, (X)
Married by Banns by: John Kirby - Minister

Heather

Offline watermansearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am contacting the online parish clerk to see if they have Joseph s fathers name etc.

If Coffeecup and Titch42 are still researching the Birchall family I would love to compare notes. New to this site so don't know how to get in touch with them, hope they see this ! Thanks

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
You have made enough posts to send a personal message (PM).  To do this you click on the person's name, which takes you to their profile.  Once there, there is an option to send a PM.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline watermansearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks I will try that :)