Author Topic: Murdoch Macrae of Shieldaig, my long-standing brick wall  (Read 2384 times)

Offline kathychung

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdoch Macrae of Shieldaig, my long-standing brick wall
« on: Thursday 19 December 13 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Been a long time since I tried to find anything new on old Murdo, but in hopes a few years might have turned up a new lead or two, I started hunting again. No such luck. He continues to be my most frustrating brick wall, and I'd appreciate any suggestions about where he may have disappeared to.

Born 1815 in Shieldaig to Donald Macrae and Christina McLennan. Married Janet Mackenzie in 1855 in Shieldag. Here's what else
I know:
In 1841 he was 25 and living at home with his parents living in Shieldaig with 6 siblings: Roderick (30), Janet (20), Flora (17), Duncan (16), Peggy (12) and Catherine, eight. Father is a fisherman, so likely he is as well at this time.

Murdo has proved elusive on census records after 1841. Janet's marital status in 1861 is given as wife and he is listed as the father on Donald's 1863 birth registry, though the record was signed by Janet. The last known proof of him being alive is his mark on the 1861 birth record of his daughter Janet.

Occupation variably given on documents as ship owner (especially in the later ones), fisherman, and "seaman merchant service".

I'm guessing his elusive nature on the census may well have to do with being at sea. But even if he died at sea, shouldn't  there be a record? Or would that be something different than a statutory death record? The first record of his wife as widow is on the 1871 census. Also odd is that after a lifetime in and around Shieldaig, she gave birth to her last child, reported as his, in Inverness. I have no idea why she was there at the time, except that I've wondered if she was trying to track him down.

A few years ago, one of the members was kind enough to look up a cemetery record for me that found her buried with her parents, described as the widow of Murdo, "late of Shieldaig".

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Kathy