Author Topic: Jones's. Barlwyd terrace Tanygrisiau  (Read 8759 times)

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones's. Barlwyd terrace Tanygrisiau
« on: Sunday 05 August 12 06:15 BST (UK) »
Im looking for any info about my great granparents 'Jacob Jones' and 'Nellie Elizabeth Jones, nee Holl'. Jacob Jones born 25th march 1901 was living at '2 Barlwyd terace, Tanygrisiau, Ffestiniog' with parents 'Simeon Edward Jones&Margaret Ellen(or Ann) Jones, nee ?'. Jacob had 10? siblings- maggie,martha,kate,david,simeon,richard llywelyn,elfed.....
On June 2nd 1926 Jacob married Nellie Elizabeth Holl, born 12th may 1907 in Lambeth, who was at that time, living at '7 Barlwyd Terrace, Tanygrisiau' but with who is a mistery ???
Nellie Elizabeth Holl, daughter of 'James Holl& ??' of Lambeth. Siblings-Rose,Dorothy,Jim,Ted/Edward,Frank,Ernest and Jack...... ???

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's. Barlwyd terrace Tanygrisiau
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Simeon Jones's marriage can be found on http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/

1900 - JONES, Simeon E and EVANS, Margaret A - Ffestiniog, Civil Marriage

Regards,
David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at other information, James Holl married Henrietta Rose Tillyer - Lambeth St Mary's on 16th September 1906
James was a horsekeeper and his father Thomas Holl, a waiter. Henrietta's father was William Tillyer, a horsekeeper.
They were both living at 8 Wickham Street,

Some of the children are listed as:-
Henrietta Rose - c1906
Ellen Elizabeth - c1907
James - c1909
Dora - c1911
Alfred - 1912
Frank - 1914
Ernest Charles - 1922

You can see them on the 1911 census if you go to https://familysearch.org/ and enter Holl in last name and Pencoed in any Place but leave the other fields blank.

Regards,
David

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
As youve probably noticed, Im new to all this, and dont have much idea as what to do & were to look.
We have wondered how my great grandmother became to be living at number 7 Barlwyd Terrace, as I understand she wasnt living there with her parents. Ide like to find out how she ended up there,at what age and with who.
Could you please tell me how to go about finding this information? Im sure Ill get the hang of this once Ive mastered the bassic's.. :-\

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Priore to living at Barlwyd Terrace, the Jones Family lived in Dolrhedyn. But thats as far as Im able to go, and know nothing of how and why they became to be living there. Ive also not had much luck with finding my great grandads brother David. Ive found his birth on BMD, but nothing els. I understand Kate Jones died at a young age, (although I havent found the date of her death eather). But we have an old photo of David and his friend taken in London when he was aged 18

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 23:51 BST (UK) »
A speculative purchase of a birth certificate might tell you who Nellie was living with at Barlwyd Terrace as follows.There are 4 Holl births registered in the Ffestiniog registration district from 1921 to 1927.They can be seen at www.northwalesbmd.org.uk. with details of how to order using the local  register office/reference.I will not name them as two may still be alive(two have deaths registered soon after).There must be a reasonable chance that the parents of these children are the people Nellie was staying with.Unfortunately there are no local Holl marriages that would identify them.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Reviewing the names of Nellie's siblings in your original post,the two surviving children of the four born in Ffestiniog registration district could be amongst them,meaning that it is Nellie's parents who are probably at Barlwyd Terrace. They are James and Henrietta Rose(nee Tillyer) Holl married in Lambeth 3rd quarter 1906,as identified by dcbnwh.

Rgards
Roger

Online nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you have a look at the census' from about 1881 onwards in the South Wales Valleys you will find a lot of people who have moved down there from North West Wales - Bleanau Ffestiniog and so on also if you look at the census' for Ffestiniog as an example thaere are many people there born in South Wales who appear to be living or visiting family listening to my mother and her older sister the children of the families were shipped back and to North Wales so in my opinion there was a definite migration backwards and forwards which is why you're Holl's moved up there leaving some fo the family down South (as my Mum would say )

Have found some information about the Holl's in London - do you have it already ? There are a couple of trees on A** .

Nesta

Offline Jim Holl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello - I am Jim Holl and am the son of James Holl -who was Nellie's brother. I visited Blaenau many years ago and met Nellie's & Jacob's children - my cousins. My father was one of 12 - all are now deceased. I thought I would join the conversation but probably wont have any more information than you have already.