Author Topic: Roberts family  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Roberts family
« on: Thursday 07 March 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace birth in 1815 of Henry Roberts, parents Henry and Margaret Roberts, in Lanbedr, and any trace of family in 1841 census.

Any help gratefully received.
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Quarryman,

Family Search has a birth of 4 Nov 1815 & baptism 12 Nov 1815 in Llanbedr, Caernarvonshire, not Merioneth, for Henry Davies or Roberts, parents: Henry Roberts and Margt. Davies, (suggesting they weren’t married at the time).  Is this the right one?

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Br1gau,

I was firmly convinced that the only Llanbedr that 'fitted' was the one in Merionethshire. Since discovered, as you did, that the one I was looking for was Llanbedr y cynnon in Caernarfonshire. Checking parish registers revealed the one you discovered - however the birth entry says "Henry Roberts illegitimate son of Henry Roberts and Mary Davies! There is no record of any subsequent marriage anywhere.

I now have to trace their movements - there is a Henry Roberts, widower, in Llandygai village in 1851 and a Henry Roberts Jnr (right age) marries in Llandygai parish church in 1835.

Could be the right ones.

Need to find someone with access to 1861 census to tell me if a Henry Roberts, widower, was still in Llandygai village.

Thanks for your help,  regards

Quarryman

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have had a look at the census returns on A*try and there are only 9 entries for Henry Roberts, born in Caernarfonshire within the possible age range.  As follows:

1841, 1851, 1861 & 1871: Living in Llandwrog, b. 1795 Llanwnda, a farmer, wife is Jane (b. 1820), large family.  By 1871 Jane had died. 

1. living in Llanllyfni, b. 1791, a slate quarryman, unmarried, born in Caernarfonshire

1. living in Llandegai, b. 1794 Llanllechid, , a labourer
2. living in Llandegai, b. 1799 Llanllechid, a farmer, married to Catherine; large family
3. living in Ffestiniog, b. 1791 Bethesda, a quarry labourer, married to Margaret (b. 1789 Llanfrothen), daughter Margaret, b 1836 Ffestiniog

1861:
1. Living in Capel Curig, Bangor, b. 1794 Caernarfon, a joiner, has a 14 year old son, William F Roberts, head of house is sister, Grace Brown, a victualler

Regards, brigau

edit to add: 1851 number 2 above (he was a grocer, not a farmer) is the same Henry as 1861 number 1 (living with his sister, Grace)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, br1gau,

Looks like my henry roberts (the labourer in Llandygai Village)  has died between 1851 census and 1861 census. Will have to look deeper.

Thanks agains,

Quarryman