Author Topic: BEACOM/BACOM/BACON - Enniskillen  (Read 22076 times)

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BEACOM/BACOM/BACON - Enniskillen
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:30 BST (UK) »
Eliza BEACOM or BACOM/BACON (born about 1820 in Glassdrumman ?) - FER.

Married James Henry LEONARD on 29 January 1841 in Rossorry, FER (Church of Ireland). Father ? BEACOM (profession given as Inspector). No other details known.

Eliza and James emigrated to Australia arriving Port Philip, Melbourne on the Strathfieldsaye on 30 August 1841. Had 10 children (3 died in infancy). Eliza and James moved to Queensland about 1868 they died in 1897 and 1898 respectively (in Townsville).

Any information on the BEACOM/BACOM/BACON family in the vicinity of Enniskillen pre and post 1840 would be much appreciated.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BEACOM/BACOM/BACON - Enniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
BEACOM, Margaret   born 1864 parents William BEACOM & Anne MC MANUS
BEACOM, Elizabeth Ann born 1867 parents Lowther BEACOM & Rebecca MOORE
BEACOM, Elizabeth Ann born 1867 parents Lowther BEACOM & Rebecca MOORE
BEACOM, Charles born 1868 parents John BEACOM & Anne MC FARLAND
BEACOM, John Robert born 1868 parents John BEACOM & Catherine KERR
BEACOM, John Robert born 1868 parents John BEACOM & Catherine KERR
BEACOM, Margret born 1868 parents Andrew BEACOM & Jane JOHNSTON
BEACOM, Margret born 1868 parents Andrew BEACOM & Jane JOHNSTON
BEACOM, William born 1868 parents Andrew BEACOM & Abigail MAHAFFEY
BEACOM, William born 1868 parents John BEACOM & Ann SUMERVILLE
BEACOM, William born 1868 parents John BEACOM & Ann SUMERVILLE
BEACOM,    ? born 1869 parents Andrew BEACOM &    Jane JOHNSTON
BEACOM, Margret born 1869 parents Lowther BEACOM & Rebecca MOORE
BEACOM, Oliver born 1869 parents John BEACOM & Margaret MAHAFFEY
BEACOM, William John born 1869 parents John BEACOM & Lucy AIKEN
BEACOM,    ? born 1870 parents: James BEACOM & Elizabeth RUTLEDGE
BEACOM, Mary Jane   born 1870 parents Robert BEACOM & Margaret GILMORE
BEACOM, William born 1870 parents Andrew BEACOM & Jane JOHNSTON
BEACOM,    ? born 1871 parents Henry BEACOM & Sarah MORROW
BEACOM,    ? born 1871 parents Henry BEACOM & Sarah MORROW
BEACOM, Margaret born 1871   parents Andrew BEACOM & Abigail MAHAFFEY
BEACOM, Thomas born 1871 parents Lowther BEACOM & Rebecca MOORE
BEACOM,    ? born 1872 parents Andrew Beacom & Jane Johnston
BEACOM, Margaret Jane born 1873   parents Thomas Beacom & Georgina Rebecca Forsythe
BEACOM, William John born 1873 parents Robert Beacom & Margaret Gilmore
BEACOM,    ? born 1874 parents Andrew Beacom & Jane Johnston
BEACOM, Lowther born 1874 parents Lowther Beacom & Rebecca Moore
BEACOM, Rebecca Georgian born 1874 parents Thomas Beacom & Rebecca Georgian Forsythe

audrey

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 11:11 BST (UK) »
Audrey

Thanks very much for this.

I wasn't aware of the British Vital Records Index until receiving this. I've now checked it out on the web. It is interesting that these records (which contain some duplicates) span only 11 years. Is there any indication of the source or will I have to go to the microfilm for this? I wonder if these BEACOMs come from a single parish? Is there any way of knowing the denomination? My BEACOM was definitely CoI. In terms of christian names, there is no strong link through use of an uncommon christian name (such as Lowther). Robert comes through in my line but I guess that is a fairly common name.

Anyway, interesting and again, thanks for your help.

Incidentally, I live in the Philippines so family history research on Ireland is something of a challenge - more than for those with better access to records.

Kind regards KL

Offline April

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 05 03:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a James Beacom born about 1810 in Enniskillen, Fermanagh. His father was James Beacom, Excise Officer/ Revenue Officer. Could that also be described as an inspector? James Beacom (Snr) was married to Sarah Brown who died in Manchester in 1858.
I am waiting for a copy of this will to come from Lancashire:
"Beacon James of Witton, Officer of Excise. A. 22 Jul 1820"  (update - it wasn't the right one)
James Beacom (jnr) came to Australia in 1857 with wife Maria and children, Harriet, Elizabeth, Jane, Maria, John Henry, Ann, Amelia & Robert.

April

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 05 01:30 GMT (UK) »
April, thank you for this information and sorry for the delay in replying - the reason being I have just become a grandfather.

The possibility of a connection would certainly seem to exist. First, it would seem plausible that an Excise/Revenue Officer could be known as an Inspector although I have no knowledge of whether this is the case. Second, Rossorry is close to Enniskillen. Third, the age would be about right, with your James Jnr born about 1810 and my Elizabeth Beacom born about 1820 so James Jnr and Elizabeth could be siblings. Finally, Elizabeth Beacom's mother's maiden name was Brown. Given also that Beacom is not a common name, the chances of a connection are good. Do you have a parish or townland for your Beacom family? Do you know if your Beacoms were Church of Ireland? Where in Australia did you Beacom family arrive? By 1857, James Henry LEONARD and Elizabeth LEONARD (BEACOM) were well-established in Melbourne although by the mid-1860s the family moved to Sydney for a short period and then on the Queensland.

James Henry and Elizabeth LEONARD had 10 children, all born in Melbourne, 3 of whom died in infancy. The names of the children are William Henry, Sarah Ann, Elizabeth Jane, Christopher, Bacom James, Harriet, James Robert, James, Adam and Herbert. James Robert, James and Adam all died in infancy. There are living descendents of William Henry and Herbert and probably Elizabeth Jane. I note quite a few similarities in names between your Beacom and my Leonard family.

Offline Net

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 05 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just started to trace my origins, so am very much a novice.  My maiden name is Beacom. The history I have so far: Great grandfather John Henry Beacom, saddler/harnessmaker b. 1848 Woolwich or London, his father James Beacon?m b. 1813 Eniskillen C/E. Married Marie/Maria Holden 1853 England. his father James Beacom excise officer, mother Sarah Brown. Marie Holden b,1815 Dorchester Dorset. Her father John Holden, Mother Harriet Hartley. I have all the more recent events, but would love to know the older ones and make some connections with relatives, as an only child, family is very important. Regards Net

Offline Beacom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Audrey,

Thank you so much for your post. This ties up a great deal of information that I have been searching for for many years. My grandfather was Lowther William Beacom (son of Lowther Beacom who married Rebecca Moore). My grandfather married Isobel Rush Beacom (nee' Campbell) from Lisburn in Co. Down.

Offline Snarfberry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Well i am a member of the beacom fam. By birth but im not sure who ur lookin for but when it comes to the beacom fam. My mother has spent alot of time on lookin for our fam. Records and has come to find out that we are spread all over the globe. My fathers fam. Came from ireland to canada, then from there to founded a small town in the U.P. Of Mi. Called pickford. She also found ppl in S. Africa that have the beacom name!!!

Offline Beacom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Very interesting details I see. I am from South Africa and from what I have discovered is that there are two, possibly three, Beacom families in South Africa but they are not related at all. There is an Owen Beacom in Durban and there is also a Colin Beacom, originally from Empangeni as well. I did speak to Owen Beacom some years ago who vehemently denied any Irish connections because he said that his father had originated from Scotland. Colin Beacom has now relocated to Scotland so I suspect that he could be a relation to Owen Beacom. My grandfather (Lowther) was originally from Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. He had quite a few brothers and sisters. Where the sisters went to I have absolutely no idea. I do know that one brother went to Scotland, two to the USA, two to South Africa and one remained in Irvinestown in Fermanagh. I have made direct contact with two Beacom families in Canada and also a lady Bonnie Jones nee' Beacom in the USA. I have personal e-mail addresses of all these contacts. You can contact me on:(*).

Regards,

Gregg Beacom

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php