Author Topic: MARGARET ROGERS (McGRATH)  (Read 8201 times)

Offline sandy feet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARGARET ROGERS (McGRATH)
« on: Friday 19 October 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

For some time I have been trying to trace my Great Grandmother, her parents and other family members in NZ and her or their entry to Australia.  At this point I have found no answers or evidence of their existence prior to Margaret marriage in Townsville. I purchased her marriage and death certificates and searched on various sites. I am looking for anything really BD& M, immigration and Emigration, which Pub my Great Great Grandfather managed etc. Did Margaret have any siblings, what happened to her parents after she left for Australia or did they travel with her?

According to her marriage Certificate my Great Grandmother , Margaret Beatrice Mcgrath  was born in be Rangiora, New Zealand. She was married in Townsville Australia in 1901 at the age of 25. Her husband’s name was Frank Rogers and they had 4 children.I am unable to find Frank's immigration details. The Death Certificate said she died on the 4th February 1932 and she was 54 years 10 months and 13 days old making her birth day as the 22nd of March 1877.

Her parents’ names were Margaret Harwitts Burns and Vincent Mcgrath. Vincent Mcgrath is listed on Margaret Beatrice’s Marriage and Death Certs as Occupation – Publican. My research has found no evidence of them at all which is strange.

Thanks for your help

Regards Sandy

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MARGARET ROGERS (McGRATH)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 00:05 BST (UK) »

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy, I suppose you have discounted the death on NZ BDM for Vincent McGrath 1918. If you have not a copy of his DC should be looked at as he seems to be the most likely.

Unfortunatly the NZ BDM's dont have a seek feature to enable the both parent names. There are 7 deaths recorded for Margaret McGrath from 1877 up to 1950. I cannot find any birth record also for you G Grandmother. Checked papers past and their is one family with a Vincent in it and he was with a couple of Brothers felling timbers when one was killed. Have you seen this?

Have you considered they may be listed as a couple on Emigration, many records just show McGrath and wife. ::)

Neil

I see Muss has also found the mention of Peter, there are marriages for Peter McGrath but none which which point in the right direction. One to an Ann another to a Matilda around the late 1860's.
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
On NZ imgration there is one for a Margaret Burns aged 24? (Whoops should have put in arrived 1874) these are guesses normally. So I checked England Census 1851, 1861 and 1871 and found same Margaret I think Father Thomas with Mother Mary Burns.

Her age varies throughout the census from 1852 to 1856 same parents but Thomas has died prior to 1871. On this census Mary is living with the children and her Brother Thomas HEWERLAY. This could be a mistranscription from Harwitts. By the way they all (Parents) come from Ireland.
They have lived in Birminham Warwickshire England since before 1851.
Thomas Hewerlay was born c1811 Mary c1810 and Thomas Burns c 1795

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sandy feet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Muzz,
 I have had a look at the papers past article which is interesting and I will follow it up. As mentioned in the NZ post Lucy thinks that this Peter Mcgrath is in fact Margaret's father however I am not sure why they called him Vincent.

Thanks Neil for the post regarding Margaret Burns. I cannot seem to find any marriage between a Mcgrath and a Burns but will continue to look.  In my original post I did not mention that on Margaret Beatrice's Death cert her mother was listed as Harwitto Turner and not Harwitts Burns. Lucy in NZ has found a Peter Mcgrath and Margaret McGrath( alias Turner) who had a daughter called Margaret in 1877 and this Peter was a publican so things are starting to stack up but still many questions.

Thanks Again

Regards Sandy

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:44 BST (UK) »

Lucy in NZ has found a Peter Mcgrath and Margaret McGrath( alias Turner) who had a daughter called Margaret in 1877 and this Peter was a publican so things are starting to stack up but still many questions.

Hi Sandy

Mainly for others viewing this topic, just wanted to clarify the above.   :)

Found in NZ Records >

*  A Catholic church baptism (at Rangiora, Canterbury, NZ) which is indexed thus >
"McGRATH  [alias TURNER] - Margaret  [Mrs Peter McGRATH] - date of baptism: 14 December 1877 in the Parish of Rangiora. "
[I'm of the view that this is probably an "adult" baptism - given that the baptisms for babies/young children shown in this index, are recorded only with Surname / Christian name(s) / date of baptism and name of parish.

*  No record yet found in NZ confirming the birth of a child (named Margaret) to a Peter and Margaret McGRATH.  [Nor any births registered to a Margaret and Vincent McGRATH.]

*  The information found for a Peter McGRATH (a roading contractor of Rangiora, Christchurch, and at a later date occupied briefly as a publican at Wellington) is speculative.   [I have followed up on this man simply as a hunch that he is the same person connected to the Margaret McGRATH [alias TURNER] at, or of, Rangiora;  the surname TURNER (in relation to her mother) also appears on the d/c of Margaret Beatrice ROGERS;  and at her marriage (1901) Margaret Beatrice gives her father's occupation as "publican" (- although she names him as "Vincent McGRATH".)  So pure speculation, but arrived at in the absence of records for a "suitable" Vincent McGRATH in NZ and having eliminated other McGRATH families.]

I may of course be barking up a wrong tree (and will be happy to apologise if that turns out to be the case.)   :-\ 

~  Lu

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If that is an adult baptism, is it likely this would be in anticipation/preparation for a marriage .... Could it be for a Margaret MCGRATH nee TURNER, with the clue being she had been previously married to a Mr Peter McGrath, and that the marriage to Mr Peter McGrath was ended (his death, or otherwise).    I suggest this only because I have seen similar baptismal details on a number of parish registers in that era in NSW, and in following up those ones, there's usually a marriage register entry to confirm.... 

Would there be an ITM within say three months of 14 Dec 1877 to help ?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
On NZ imgration there is one for a Margaret Burns aged 24? (Whoops should have put in arrived 1874) these are guesses normally. So I checked England Census 1851, 1861 and 1871 and found same Margaret I think Father Thomas with Mother Mary Burns.

Her age varies throughout the census from 1852 to 1856 same parents but Thomas has died prior to 1871. On this census Mary is living with the children and her Brother Thomas HEWERLAY. This could be a mistranscription from Harwitts. By the way they all (Parents) come from Ireland.
They have lived in Birminham Warwickshire England since before 1851.
Thomas Hewerlay was born c1811 Mary c1810 and Thomas Burns c 1795

Neil

Hi Neil

Did you find the Margaret BURNS - aged 24 - to NZ in 1874, at FamilySearch (NZ Immigration Passenger lists) ?

Just wondering because on viewing the image, this lady appears as part of a family group (a husband, wife and two small children ?).   

BURNS - John - 24 - Warwickshire
BURNS - Margaret - 24
BURNS - Katharine (Katherine ?) - aged 3 years
BURNS - Mary - 1 year

~  Lu 

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 12 14:24 BST (UK) »

Hi Sandy, I suppose you have discounted the death on NZ BDM for Vincent McGrath 1918. If you have not a copy of his DC should be looked at as he seems to be the most likely.

The 1918 Vincent McGRATH was a WW1 death.  [New Zealand has a separate index recording their war dead. ]   

Vincent McGRATH - aged 35 years (of Auckland, NZ) - died France, 1 October 1918.
[Source :  Auckland Museum Cenotaph Database ]

~  Lu