Author Topic: Tasmanian BDM lookup please  (Read 12624 times)

Offline shally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasmanian BDM lookup please
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have access to Tasmanian BDM records.
I'm trying to find a record of the birth of Sincere Amelia Lamb, b: abt 1842
Parents Francis and Amelia Lamb. I think she also had a sister called Amelia, b: abt 1844
Also trying to find record of Francis and Amelia's marriage
I'm pretty sure Francis was a convict, sent out 1834, 7 year sentence, ended up at Port Authur
Thanks
Shally

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmanian BDM lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 06:17 GMT (UK) »
The Francis LAMB who was a convict went to Tasmania on the William Metcalfe in 1834 as you have said.  in 1835 he was listed as having been sent to Port Arthur ; in 1841 he is listed as 'free by servitude'.

Australian marriage index has this marriage:
Registered at Melbourne, 1841
Francis H LAMB, Amelia VICKERS
Volume Number:   V C

As this is very early in the colony of Victoria it may not be easy to get a copy of the registration which would have been taken from the church registry.

There is a further entry:
Victoria, 1841 # 4361
Francis Hancock LAMB, Amelia Vickers
Marriage Place:   Victoria

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread asking the same question:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,637980.0.html

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Information on the marriage that Judith quoted above:

LAMB Francis Hancock m. VICKERS Amelia 9th May 1841 registered at St James, Church of England, West Melbourne #4361

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have access to Tasmanian BDM records.
I'm trying to find a record of the birth of Sincere Amelia Lamb, b: abt 1842
Parents Francis and Amelia Lamb. I think she also had a sister called Amelia, b: abt 1844
Also trying to find record of Francis and Amelia's marriage
I'm pretty sure Francis was a convict, sent out 1834, 7 year sentence, ended up at Port Authur

There are no birth/baptism or marriage registrations in the TAS BDM for any of the above.

Offline shally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judb and Merlin. I don't think the Lambs in Victoria are the ones I'm after but will see if I can find any more on them in case they are connected. It is possible the births were not registered as that only started in Tassy in 1838. Might have to try and find church records on the marriage. That will probably be impossible as well. I may have to get on to the Tassy archives people and get them to do a search. Thanks. Shally

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Information on the marriage that Judith quoted above:

LAMB Francis Hancock m. VICKERS Amelia 9th May 1841 registered at St James, Church of England, West Melbourne #4361

Thanks Judb and Merlin. I don't think the Lambs in Victoria are the ones I'm after but will see if I can find any more on them in case they are connected.  Thanks. Shally

Hi Shally,

I think you will find that these are the parents of Sincere Amelia LAMB.  Francis Hancock LAMB's mother was named Sincere, and he is the same person who was transported on the William Metcalfe.

The Hull Packet (Hull, England)

Friday, November 8, 1833; Issue 2555 (page 2)

ROBBERIES

An elderly man named McGregor, a shepherd, was robbed of his purse containing upwards of £16, in the entrance to the Wheat Sheaf Inn, about 6 o’clock in the evening, by one of a party of six men, the others being near at the time; two charged with the offence, William JONES, who states he comes from Leeds, and Francis Hancock LAMB, of Bempton, near Bridlington, were apprehended.

A later issue of the same paper (Friday, January 3, 1834; Issue 2563, page 1) has details of the trial and says that Francis was also “formerly of Hull”.

I think that Francis also had a brother in SA, William Hancock LAMB, also sometimes known as William Lamb HANCOCK.  He married (firstly?) to Sophia COLES in the UK and had a daughter Sophia Sincere Lamb HANCOCK, and married secondly to Mary Frances Duson UERN (or something similar) in 1859 at Gawler, SA.

Here are Francis and William and the siblings that I can see so far - William's death notice says that he was the 7th son, so there is still one missing here.  They were a family of "name shifters" from the beginning to the end.

Richard HANDCOCK
christening:   23 Aug 1805  All Saints, Hereford, Herefordshire, England
parents: R.L. HANDCOCK & Sincere

John Hancock LAMB
christening:   15 Jul 1806  Saint Peter, Droitwich, Worcester, England
parents: John & Sincere  (despite the incorrect father's name recorded, I think this is the same couple and father should be Richard)

Francis Hancock LAMB
christening:   11 May 1808  Saint Helen, Worcester, Worcestershire, England
parents: Richard LAMB & Sincere

James Hancock LAMB
christening:   19 Feb 1812  Saint Leonard's, Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England

Frederick Augustus LAMB
christening:   1813    Stockport, Chester, England
parents: Richard Hancock LAMB & Sincere

Sarah Ann LAMB
Born c 1817, mentioned in an 1829 newspaper article about the death of her sister Charlotte
“daughter of Richard (better known as Doctor) Lamb”

William LAMB
christening:   03 Jun 1821  St. Saviour, York, Yorkshire, England

Harriet Hancock LAMB
christening:   10 Oct 1822  St. Saviour, York, Yorkshire, England

Charles L. HANCOCK born c1827 at Manchester who is named as Richard and Sincere's son on the 1851 census.  By then they were living in Montgomeryshire, Wales, so pretty much had the whole of England covered during their lifetime, and seem to have also spent quite some time at Hull in Yorkshire.

Charlotte LAMB
burial: 22 Mar 1829   Parish Of Holy-Trinity, Kingston-Upon-Hull, York, England (aged 12 months)
The inquest finding was that she died from a vistitation from God.

Sincere died in 1870 at Dudley, Worcestershire aged 81.  Richard lived to the fabulous age of around 92 , and died just after the 1871 census, also at Dudley.  They used both LAMB and HANCOCK as a surname.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
William Lamb HANCOCK's death notice:

SMH 10 Oct 1896

HANCOCK - October 8, at Narrandera, NSW, aged 77, William Lamb Hancock, seventh son of the late Dr. Lamb Hancock, of Hull, Yorkshire, England, formerly an officer of the renowned ''Arethusa". Home papers please copy.

His death reg. names his parents as Richard and 'Cynthia'.

Following the family backwards, Richard LAMB/HANCOCK can be found in 1871 living with his son Frederick L. HANCOCK in Dudley.  Richard is aged 94, born in Worcester, and a 'Doctor of Medicine'.  Frederick was a manufacturer of Patent inventions.

In 1861, Richard was a 'Surgeon', aged 83, and living/visiting with his son James HANCOCK who was an engineer and inventor.  Frederick was also there and also an engineer and inventor.  Son Charles also lived in Dudley and called himself a civil engineer, but he was also an inventer.  Here is a reference to him  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t8v/

Then going back to 1851 I was confused to see that Richard (born c1778, Worcester) was a master cabinet maker employing 8 men, not a doctor.  Sincere was born c1788 at Peterborough, Northamptonshire.  His year and place of birth matched later census returns and in the later ones he was living with some of the sons that he had with Sincere.

I also found a London Gazette entry from 1851 which identifies James Lamb HANCOCK and William Lamb HANCOCK as also being cabinet makers.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/21217/pages/1529/page.pdf

I then found this news item for brother Frederick Augustus Lamb HANCOCK (first column titled "Extraordinary Marriage")
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t8z/

There is further info here http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t90/

"At St. Chad's, Shrewsbury, F. Augustus Lambe Hancox, son of Mr. Lambe, worm-doctor, of that town to Mrs. Winifred Foulkes, of Trelydan, near Pool, Montgomeryshire." (more in link)

It seems to me that the cabinet making was their trade and "bread and butter", while Richard, Sincere, and son Frederick dabbled in a bit of "worm doctoring" as well, making "Lamb's Worm Medicines" and "Lamb's Vegetable Compound".  At the moment it looks to me like this was early - 1820s/1830s.  I do not have a sub or any credits left but it would really be worth a short sub to look at some of the newspaper items.  One snippet starts with "Lamb's Worm Medicines - Mrs. Lamb, wife of the celebrated Mr. R. Lamb Snr., Chemist and Worm Doctor..."

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/  (requires subscription)

http://gale.cengage.co.uk/product-highlights/general-reference/gale-historical-newspapers/gale-newsvault.aspx  (can be accessed at home via eResources with a National Library card)

Sons James, Frederick and William appear to have been in business together later on making patent inventions.  Amongst the inventions that they manufactured was one of the first automatic washing machines in 1858.

Here are a few mentions, and there are others in the UK newspapers if you have access.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t8w/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t8x/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t8y/

This is a seriously interesting family!

Debra  :)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Gee hasn't medicine taken some strides since then ::) On my family tree (early 1800's) is a Doctor Todd. 8) He was actually a horse doctor who treated CANCER in people with poisons. I think they call it "Chemotherapy" now :o Seems he was a bit before his time ;D My dad had a book handed down many generations and it amused us with the recipes and cocktails. The "Homeopathic Companion". I think it was printed in the Late 1700's. Unfortunatly my dad lent it to his chemist, just prior to his death and we never saw it again >:(

I really think this is your family Shally. You should be very happy to have them. ;D

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads