Author Topic: Transported then what?  (Read 5449 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transported then what?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 August 14 02:10 BST (UK) »
William Overton was transported in 1846 ............   His wife was left with two very young children the youngest baptised just 6 days before the ship leftand had just buried a four year old. She had an illegitimate  child while he was away, but never remarried and is listed as a Widow in 1881........... Trees ???

Trees, I don't think you should think of William as a bigamist.

In those times, if the convict had been parted from his wife and family for more than seven years and had no prospect of getting back to UK to be with them once free, they were legally entitled to remarry.  You may even find that his first wife remarried, under the circumstances ???

Dawn M

The Original Post tells us that she did not re-marry  :)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 August 14 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett - missed that bit   :)

However, if she was listed as a Widow, that substantiates the ideas of the time, that the marriage was considered 'over' after a period of separation.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 August 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Trees, I don't think you should think of William as a bigamist.

In those times, if the convict had been parted from his wife and family for more than seven years and had no prospect of getting back to UK to be with them once free, they were legally entitled to remarry.  You may even find that his first wife remarried, under the circumstances ???

Dawn M

Here is a link which Trees may like to read about the conditions under which convicts could remarry after transportation. http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/res-10.html

Regards
Jennaya

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 August 14 07:18 BST (UK) »
This looks like Amelia's death
EVENS  Amelia T,
Reg 20530 Yr 1934 
Aged  75
At  Mental Hospital
STOCKTON

Date of Death for Amelia = 3 Oct 1934

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 23 August 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
Well its a relief to find his marriage was legal he seems to have eventually been able to set up a happy family in Australia I wonder if he ever wondered about his first family though. Mary did not remarry she bought his remaining two children up the first having died aged 4 before he got involved in the robbery. Mary had a daughter in 1850 by an unknown father the entry in the baptism register making the situation very clear ""23 Feb 1851 Ellen The illegitimate daughter of Mary Overton the husband undergoing transportation abroad" In 1851 and 1861 Mary is a laundress with the three children probably working in her brother in law's laundry (from newspapers, censuses and his will it was a fair sized establishment) In 1881 she was still a laundress but living with a married daughter up till then she was always listed as married , I wonder if she was still hoping William would return, but in 1881 she was a widow.
Mary is the connection to my tree so I feel sad for her she was so harshly punished for his night of drunken stupidity.I think his brother Jesse was looking out for herfamily though. Jesse witnessed his niece's marriage and newspapers show that he was a prominent member of his non conformist church and the "Garibaldi lifeboat crew" a temperance society. He and his wife are listed as donators to a fund to build a new Anglican church to, So altogether a reasonable end to this sorry incident
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 August 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
the link you poseted Jennaya is very interesting do we know anything about  Williams  wife was she also from a transported family?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 23 August 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
do we know anything about  Williams  wife was she also from a transported family?

No, she emigrated as a free person:

MCINTAGART Margaret Bounty Immigrant 26/08/1854 on the ship KINGSTON to HOBART.
Reel: I4-13; Section: CB 7/19; Frame: P4; Film: SLTX/AO/EP/240

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 August 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
The 'Kingston' left Southampton 26 May 1854 and arrived in Hobart Town 26 Aug 1854. On board were 345 immigrants made up of 71 male adults, 191 female adults and 83 children under 14 years. During the voyage there were 4 births.

M'ENTAGGART Margaret - Board of Immigration #CB 7/17/2
Emigrants under agreement to repay passage money before leaving Tasmania (Indenture System).

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3333835

http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/events/6/596.htm#61812

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 August 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
There are several possibilities for Margaret born in Scotland but I can't see a Margaret Theresa. From her death she was born about 1829 Are there any possible records that will show her birth place? are there any census for Bathurst for example or a 1851 for Spring Bay?

mcmullin.me.uk