Author Topic: I found my grandmother what a great feeling  (Read 7972 times)

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I found my grandmother what a great feeling
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie May

My GGrandfather James Dunne  say's in the census 1911 that he was 65 years old so that would make him born about 1846 a bit later but could still be related

Regards Manus

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations I know exactly how you feel and I assume that is why you started genealogy in the first place. ;D
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Thank you for your reply and help I don't really know much about the Byrne side of the family yet  my GGrandmother was Mary Byrne who married a John Gowan but I can't find a marriage certificate for them.  All the children were born in a place called  Wingfield Hollyfort Gorey and are still there in the 1911 census If I could find the marriage it would help me to find out what mary's father's name was.  in the 1911 census Mary is down as being age 53 so born about 1856 John could be a brother and would love a copy of the marriage certificate  when you get time please.

Regards Manus

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronbuck's

Thank you. My mum died age 55 with out  ever knowing who her mother was I only wish she was here now so I share this with her.

Regards Manus 

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 February 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Manus

On the 1911 census 'my' John Byrne was living in Esmonde Street, Gorey.  His profession on the census, as on his marriage certificate, was labourer.  He is aged 40 at that point in 1911, so born 1871 give or take assuming the age is fairly accurate and not rounded up or down.  He had a 9 year old son Joshua.  It is just possible that he was a brother of your Mary Byrne, although it's quite a common name as you are no doubt aware.  According to the marriage certificate his father was also John Byrne, a labourer.

If you want a copy of the marriage certificate PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. 

Andy

Offline padenfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Monaseed's not a big place, Manus, and my Mellons were from there. I've just put together reports on John Mellon m. Catherine Murphy (mine); brother George Mellon m. Sarah Sheridan; and brother Murtha m. Elizabeth Mulloy. These Mellons were RC, and born in the 1700s. If you'll send me your email address, I'd be glad to share this research with you.
Anne

Offline Claire Pasterfield-Dunne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Manus,

I'm really not sure if you are still active on this site but thought I'd post this message just in case.

It has been wonderful reading your posts, re Mary Dunne nee Gowan and Hunter Gowan. This is especially so as Mary Gowan is my Great Grandmother. I am the Granddaughter to James Dunne(your uncle) My father is * . My dad is still in touch with some of your cousins from Molly's side and my dad asked me to post a message.

Like you my Dad always wondered about his Grandmother Mary, and we have tried to research the Dunne/Gowan Family but like you hit brick walls.

I will be telling my dad all about your posts and really hope you still pop on here, as my dad would like to reconnect.

Thanks Claire & Mickey Dunne

*Edit - living persons , please use the Personal Message(PM) system to exchange private information
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 January 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations it's a great feeling when you find a family member :) :)