Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93467 times)

Offline espanol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 13 February 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's been very interesting reading your stories here.  I am apparently from a Romani background, my great grandmother was known as Maude of the caravan tribe, her maiden name was Woods, and she lived in the West Country, finally coming to rest in Gwent when she married a Tanswell.  My Grandmother, her elder sister and brothers all had high cheek bones, olive complexions and dark hair.   I have been looking into the family history a little but haven't got very far.  I would be very interested to hear from anyone who knew of the Woods family (Maude Woods).  I believe she was born in Wiltshire or Somerset.  I'll have to check on that.

The female line of the family have all got a 'gift' apparently, my Grandmother & Aunt were quite involved in various methods of fortune telling & healing, my grandmother was always telling me some natural herb or thing to use as a cure, and my aunt looked the part, being olive complexioned, high cheek boned and loved wearing her gold jewellery and brightly coloured clothing.
hi there is a good book called the gipsy scholar and its all about the woods family

Offline ssprules

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiggi & Honey-Roma. I see you both have Bucklands in your tree. I have an Elizabeth Emily Buckland born around 1877 who is a mystery to me and wondered if you had any knowledge of this family.
She married Philip Albert Jones in 1896 in Bristol, naming her father as John, a hawker. I have been unable to trace a birth registration for her. She is in the 1901 census in Bristol living with her 2 children, but no husband. Later that year both her and her husband were charged with neglect & the children put in a  workhouse
In 1901 there was a John age 68 & Fanny Buckland age 63 living next to Elizabeth, with adult children Henry, Joshua & Rose all saying born Bristol, I have traced this family back to 1871 and they had other children Percy, Joseph, Jenty, Minnie, Adolphus,Sarah, Cinderella, Circender, Emmily, Motte, Walter, William. The birth place of John is given most years as Oxford, Berkshire. Some years they were in caravans and some in houses but always in Bristol.

Their is no mention of Elizabeth Emily, the nearest in age would be Sarah, which has confused me.

I would really appreciate your advices if you have any knowledge of this family

Nashua
Hi Nashua, Elizabeth Emily Buckland is related to me through my grandmothers family. I only found out the other day that they were gypsys. I know this link is old but if it gets to you I would really appreciate anything light you could shine on this family. Sue

Offline rhspeedway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 05 September 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all i have not been on here as often as i mabe should but if anyone has any intrest in the buckland/rose family i would find it very interesting to talk about this as i am very proud of my family, my link is thomas and cinderella rose/ rea buckland was my great grand parants, one of there sons also named thomas rose who married elizabeth merchant was my grand parants, they had four children the youngest was doreen my mother, she is what is known as second generation gypsy as my grandfather was the last to do any traveling and lived most of his life in a house in chippenham wiltshire he died in the eary 80s my mother is still with us although her brother and two sisters are sadly not but they were all fantastic people and a very loving family, all the best richard.

Offline Richardxii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 08 July 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
My Name is Toni Hassett and I have an interest in Mary Howard.
I suspect a gypsy connection in my our genetic heretige, I had an uncle Jim Howard.
What do you Know of Mary's ancestors/family?
How do i find out more?
 :) :)

Hi Nashua
Like most families there are lots of Branches,I have taken note of what you have posted,  and will have alook for them My own Bucklands came from  Oxfordshire, but also at times mentioned Bristol, if you know Bristol Gloucester Road was well known for Gypsies, I know my familty did go to USA and settled there some did return to UK , but then settled in Devon cornwall area.
Some names do pop out at me like Jenty ( this was Gentilla orginally the church would not recgonise it as a name for obvious reasons so it got changed can be spelt Jenty Genty or even Jennie)
Adolphus was another, I have had somesome contact me about a Nelson Buckland who came from Bristol think family still there today, it maybe relations to  your family, i know that someone again has mentioned 2 brothers Adolphus & John ( sounds like your names) that went into Fair rides.  Motte was also used by Williams family as name .
Its also possible your family came from a Plato Buckland known to travel and marry into Williams & Fletchers some of children's names you mentioned sound like them,  he was from Buckinghamshire area lots of Bucklands related to him.
Point of interest :
The families didn;t always live in Caravans usually only when they traveled most were senisble and bought property
which would be their winter homes and also an investment
also did you know that families often used alias some used parents grandparents surnames.

Stangely I do have a Census when my own family are traveling with a family : I would guess that Mary Howard was married to a Jones for her daughter to use the name:

1881 Census Tavistock Cornwall Caravans Petericks Ground

Mary Howard born 1824 aged 57 Head Tavistock ( fruit seller & coster)

Jane Jones/Dann born 1846 aged 35 daughter Tavistock

Emily Dann born 1868 aged 13 grand-daughter Tavistock

William Thomas Dann born 1871 aged 10 grand-son Tavistock

Jane Jones/Dann husband is actually in 1st foot Reg Devonshire at this time

I will look for you see what I can find I would also suggest 2 things try doing a Scavenger hunt on here ask about it to Tephra its a really good way of finding info
alos go look at romanygenes site its has lots of info there about many families and again you could post a message might bring you some luck
happy hunting Nashua and what a lovely name
sandy

Offline Richardxii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 08 July 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
My name is Veronica and I know of a Mary Howard, if my research is on the right track she is the step grandmother of my grandfather Thomas Jones!  My great grandmother would be Jane her daughter who married a John Jones and moved from Tavistock Devon to Cardiff Wales approx 1881 to 1891

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 26 September 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi wood_gnome.
My ancestors were Romani & gypsy hawkers etc, at one stage based in vans at the White Hart Yard in Godalming, Surrey. My great-grandfather's family had gravitated to the huge common at Mitcham, Surrey, where he eventually settled down in a house.

The trouble was that although Romanis and gypsies had been seen as romantic during the 19th century, their image began to change later in the century, until they were commonly associated with thieves and vagabonds. This made my own (and many other) ancestors ashamed of their heritage and they tried to disappear into the gaujo population. From my grandfather on, all trace of our ancestry was expunged, even though he was a full-bred Romani.

However, they gave it away somewhat by their regular use of Romani words in ordinary conversation; in my childhood these words were not always known or recognised by non-family.

Although my heritage was completely hidden from me and only discovered by chance when I was middle-aged, my childhood and youth was peppered with clues. For example my ability to see and interact with gnomes and fairies, my restless wandering and outdoors nature, my love of smoky campfires, my total inability to settle into an orthodox career or job, and my eventual settling on dukkering, astrology and card reading to earn a living - all without my having the slightest clue of my Romani heritage!  Blood will out, as they say.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
It would be most helpful to myself, and I am sure to many others if you would be kind enough to post some of the Romani words. I have my own suspicions. Thanks
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 26 September 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Is that a reply to me, Redroger? You don't say.

Assuming so: for example, my father and uncles called each other 'mush' all the time. How is this helpful? What suspicions do you have?

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 26 September 16 17:44 BST (UK) »
I think if you gave us your grandfathers name and approx. date of birth we maybe able to follow.not all romanies are fortune tellers and we surely do not interact with fairies and gnomes!!!most of us are proud of what we are and never seek to hide it.it is our blood that makes us who we are.there are romanies that are doctors,mayors,teachers as well as landscapers and tarmacers and into plastics.its mainly the woman that go in for dukkering not the men.theres a lot more to our lives then most folk know.gaujo and mush are well known words.tell us some of the more unusual ones you know??
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country