Author Topic: COOPERS in Surrey area  (Read 54735 times)

Offline Lelu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COOPERS in Surrey area
« Reply #72 on: Monday 18 February 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
King otg

Thanks so much for posting these records.

Offline anothercooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »
COOPER BAPTISMS continued
SRY Cobham bp1/1/1837 Francis s/o Matthew/Eliza, Gypsy, trav’g

Wonderful stuff! That'll keep me busy for a while!

Thank's for all the details King otg! Though for Francis, I needed no proof of baptism. The word of a Princess was enough for me.

I've just searched this site and am surprised to find that the following links have not yet been provided! So for the benefit of any Surrey Cooper Gypsy researchers who find themselves on this thread, who may not of encountered the connection before.

The Princess Victoria's Diaries: http://www.queenvictoriasjournals.org/search/displayItem.do?FormatType=fulltextimgsrc&&QueryType=articles&ResultsID=2722448819709&ItemID=qvj01562&ItemNumber=1&PageNumber=1&volumeType=ESHER

Start on the 3rd Dec 1836 and read through January 1837 and discover the effect the Cooper Family had on the 17 year old Princess Victoria. make sure you click on Lord Esher's Transcripts and scroll down to "Transcription" which is much easier to read than Victoria's handwriting.

Likewise: http://www.queenvictoriasjournals.org/illustrations/view.do?method=browse&illusType=sketch&sortOrder=oldestFirst

12th December to 12th January to view Princess Victoria's paintings of the Cooper Family.

Her diaries debunk the myth that it was Eliza Lee who informed the young Princess of her destiny to become Queen. Those details are to be found much earlier when her German Governess Lehzen provided the young Princess Victoria with the Hanoverian family tree.

Likewise the young Victoria makes no mention of Matty nor ratcatching at this early period: except to refer to him as "The Husband". That's not to say that she didn't provide him with employment at some later time.

As yet the digitization of the Journals are an on-going process. At the present time though only a little of them are searchable. Though 60 plus years worth of scans of Victoria's handwriting are there for the perusal of the brave!

Offline Max Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 07 November 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a family tree of my family the norwood coopers .Sam was my ggg grandad. The family finished up in banghole  croydon both my nan and grandad were born there. Many thanks Max williams

Offline Henry Cooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 12 July 14 02:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry to jump in here but there's a lot of talk of Matty Cooper the (royal rat catcher) to be connected with the Croydon Cooper....Matty is from the Windsor Cooper I know this because he was my great , great , great ,great grandfather so i am a directly descented from this man .....Matty had 7 boys one of them called Vanslow , vanslow had a boy also called vanslow .......Vanslow jnr had a boy called Henry ....Henry then called he's son Henry ........Henry jnr called he's boy Henry (me father) Im called Henry and my little boy is called ......you guessed it Henry Boi lol..........We are all gypsies and proud still living the romany way in trailers ,yards and units and we still hold the name Cooper lol and I myself breed plummer terriers the best ratting dogs on the planet and we work them hard to Longtails (rats)hahaha

Offline Doug Cochrane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 08 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, John Hendon Samuel Cooper was born at 39 Acre Rd. Mitcham Croydon, Surrey, England to Samuel Thomas Cooper of Battersea and Maude Victoria Friday of Northfleet, Kent in 1907.  His Coopers originated from Halstead, Essex years before, but would there be a connection to the Romany Coopers in the Mitcham area during the time of his birth? I hope someone on this forum can answer my question.

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
my husbands grt grt  grandfather was walter cooper and   son of Thomas and sarah they go back to matty cooper

Offline Doug Cochrane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 03 March 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Would the Mitcham, Croydon Coopers ca. 1890 - 1907 be directly descended from the Halstead, Essex Coopers in other ways than my aforementioned connection? I wonder what prompted my great grandparents to move to Mitcham, Croydon if it were not to meet other family, albeit distant cousins perhaps?   It seems ironic that they were there at the same time noted Cooper Travellers/Gipsies were in the area.