Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32397 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Green Oak,
                   You say " the surname is Querins, not the correct way of spelling it, but I know it is my family."

Querins is an unusual name and I can find few references to it but I notice that in the Griffith Valuation (1858 for the Dungiven area) there is a Jane Querins, renting a house and garden in the townland of Derryork which is about a mile north of Dungiven. There is also a Mary Jane Querins who married in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church in 1908. This church is also about one mile north of Dungiven. 
           How do you know that the Dungiven family is not the correct spelling and is your family?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell,
Thank you for your help. The correct way of spelling my Grandmothers name, was Querns. When you pronounce the name, I can see the reason it was misspelled in 1911.

I recognized my Grandmothers brothers names, also my Grandmothers name,  whom I knew personally. Her fathers  name was John, and I found his name on my Grandparents marriage certificate. I've never heard of the niece that was on the census Mary Elizabeth Querins (Querns)

When you mentioned New Street, I thought you were referring to the new numbers on the current Main St. Which I visited last year. I guess they couldn't think of a new name for the street, and called it New Street.

My Gt Grandmother, her name was Mary and I see Mary Jane with the spelling Querins, I think they will all be connected. I've never heard of another family
with the name Querns. Maybe through time it changed to Cairns.
Thank for all your help.
Green Oak

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
 It is quite deceiving when you look at the print out I have. At the top of the page it states. ( Residents of house number 136 in Main Street (Dungiven Londonderry) Then it shows my Grandmothers family.

Thanks to you guys I now know the family lived in New St, Dungiven. Do you know where I would get the correct number for their house? The form just stated New Street without a number. And the link you kindly sent me, my computer would not open any other pages.
This is a far out question, my Grandmother worked in  Coleraine in a big Dept Store. Would you know the name of a Department Store in 1912-13?. It was a relative of my Grandmothers family.
Thanks for all your help.
Green Oak.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
There was no house number for New Street in 1911- most streets in small towns/villages at that period didn't have house numbers.
There were lots of shops in Coleraine at that period but not sure what she would have considered a 'big Dept. Store.' 1910 Coleraine directory is online- see p.3 for shopkeepers:
www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Coleraine.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I'm looking for an old map 1890's, that would show me the exact spot where Lenamore Tamlaghtard was, also including the following places.  Magilligan Presbyterian Church, Tamlaghtard Irish Church, also Carrowclare Tamlaghtfinlagan. Today 2010,  the new name that has replaced Lenamore.

Much obliged
Green Oak

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 26 April 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Green Oaks,
                   I am unsure if we can make this work but if you go to Google Maps and enter Ballyscullion, United Kingdom the map should pinpoint Ballyscullion on the Seacoast Road. Just above Ballyscullion there is a dot marked PaC and a lane running west towards the sea. That lane is in the townland of Lenamore as it is still called. Just to the north of this there is a short lane and a much longer lane. Magilligan Presbyterian Church is situated on the Seacoast road between these two lanes.
                  From Ballyscullion there is a road running east called Limestone Road which meets Duncrun Road. Just north of this junction is Tamlaghtarde Church of Ireland.
                 If you now pan south, keeping the sea in sight to the west you will come to a point where Carrowclare Road meets Shore Avenue. This junction is in the townland of Carrowclare.

Hope it works.
Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 April 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
Although we have road names for our postal addresses townlands still exist and most have remained virtually unchanged for generations (bearing in mind spelling variations).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerwell,

Thank you for the Google Map directions, they worked superbly.  I found everything that I asked for.  Also managed to see the Church of Ireland with the little icon that takes you to some of the sites. For some reason I couldn't get Google Earth to work in the area of Magilligan, It worked for the Castlerock area.

http://askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation 

I was wondering if you could check this website above to see if what I think is correct.

Name- Moody, County-Londonderry,  Barony-Keenaught, Union Newtownlimavady.  Parish- Tamlaghtard or Magilligan.

I was wondering if the children of Lenamore would have gone to school in MARGYMONAGHAN in the 1800's?   Also attended the Presbyterian meeting house in MARGYMONAGHAN?  I noticed that Rev Samuel Butler lived in MARGYMONAGHAN.   Also if you could give me any hints of checking the land.  I was looking for Lenamore Map #6, 8, 9, 9a, 9b, It's quite difficult to check when you don't have your bearings.  Maybe a point of interest to point me in the right direction.
The school and the meeting house , have they been demolished?
Much obliged
Green Oak

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Green Oak,
                The website you mention is the best one I have found for studying the Griffith's Valuation as it gives the actual Griffiths page and the associated map, although tonight I had a bit of bother getting the map to enlarge. The sites, #6, 8, 9, are all Moody families as well as 4a and b which were held by Solomon Moody. 9a and b were sublet by James Moody, possibly to his farm labourers.
                Margymonaghan is the townland immediately north of Lenamore and it contains the Presbyterian Meeting House/ Church and the school. If the Moodys attended the church it is highly likely that the children would have attended this school as they appear together. The school may have been the old church hall although both have now been greatly enlarged, the upgraded church supposedly having been built around the old church which was still in use and when completed the walls of the old church were taken down.
               The term Meetinghouse used for Presbyterian churches developed from the time in the 1700s when there were few presbyterian churches and presbyterians used to meet in one anothers houses to hear an itinerant preacher or the preacher from a remote church who occassionally visited to conduct services.
               If you are interested I can give you more detail on Magilligan Presbyterian church and the Rev Samuel Butler and his nephew the Rev Hugh Butler.

Regards

Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim