Author Topic: Canning Family - Crabarky or Carnanbane area 1860+  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canning Family - Crabarky or Carnanbane area 1860+
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 02:42 BST (UK) »
The revaluation records indicate that Henry Kennan left in 1894, so that does broadly fit with a death in 1893. (Griffiths clerks were often out by a year or so). However the problem there isn’t a death for a Henry Kennan in 1893 either. It’s possible that the death just wasn’t registered. Or I suppose, that Henry had moved since writing the will in 1887, and died outside Ireland. (Seems unlikely for a farmer).

You could pay £2 to see the 1890 will (on the GRONI site) to see what the townland was, and who the informant was. Also the marital status, because the man who wrote the 1897 will appears to have been a widower. That might resolve it.
Elwyn

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 05:13 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if there is a connection between your Canning family and my mother's cousin's family. My grandfather's sister Muriel Wilson (nee Livingston) of Londonderry had a daughter Iris born 1929 who married John Canning. I know John died pre 2000 and I think Iris died pre 2010. We visited her in Lisburn in 1999. My mother and Iris used to keep in touch but we haven't heard from Iris in many years and are not in contact with her son.

I am currently working my way down the families of my grandfather's Livingston siblings and trying to collect together what info I have on each family and scan some of the photos from family albums.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

I am unsure if your John Canning would be related to my family. At this point I only really have information on the descendants of Thomas (who went to Scotland and then to New Zealand) and George (who went to New York and died in Vermont). Both Thomas and George appear to have left Ireland prior to 1900.

I have no more recent details on other family members at this point.

In my searches for Canning's there have been a few records for the Canning name in Lisburn, but these records are early 1900's, so not quite late enough to determine if they relate to your John.

Cheers

Simon
CANNING - New Zealand, Ireland BONE - New Zealand, Norfolk - CATTRALL - Liverpool WEALLEANS - New Zealand, Northumberland - DUFFY - Scotland, Ireland - DYKES - New Zealand, Liverpool, Cheshire - HAY - New Zealand, Ireland HALDANE - Newcastle on Tyne, Scotland

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
You could pay £2 to see the 1890 will (on the GRONI site) to see what the townland was, and who the informant was. Also the marital status, because the man who wrote the 1897 will appears to have been a widower. That might resolve it.

Hi Elwyn,

You mentioned that these details might be available on GRONI, is that the https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk web site?

I had a look, but couldn't see where this type of record is located.

I also thought I would check their BMD records for a possible candidate, but they seem to be missing a few records as I can't find any reference to the Henry Canning who is listed in as dying in 1890.

Cheers for the assistance,

Simon
CANNING - New Zealand, Ireland BONE - New Zealand, Norfolk - CATTRALL - Liverpool WEALLEANS - New Zealand, Northumberland - DUFFY - Scotland, Ireland - DYKES - New Zealand, Liverpool, Cheshire - HAY - New Zealand, Ireland HALDANE - Newcastle on Tyne, Scotland

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 August 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
Simon,

Sorry, I wrote 1890 will when I meant 1890 death certificate. However since you can’t find that death certificate anyway, that probably is a dead end.

Perhaps you could try e-mailing GRONI with the 1893 probate extract and ask them if they could do a manual check of Ballycastle death records in case the death has been misfiled in the indexes.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 August 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,

I had tried numerous different spellings for Canning and Kennan, but had forgotten the obvious one of Cunning  :-[

So the 96 year old widower Henry Cunning died 23rd July 1890 at Carnanbane and the witness was his son James.

Now to see if I can find what happened to Nancy, James and John.

Many thanks for your assistance and pointers.

Simon

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 August 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Thank you. It would have been nice to have found someone who could tell me a bit more about Muriel & Billy Wilson which a member of Iris's family may have known. Of course at the time I could have asked Iris, I was more focused on previous generations rather than my grandparents siblings.

I should look to see if my mother still has any of her letters.

Cheers

Linda