Author Topic: William Urquhart Mackintosh  (Read 12571 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Urquhart Mackintosh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 May 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Glad it makes sense!

Regarding John and his details specifically. Again, together with certificates, you can have a look at censuses to see what may show.

From his census ages after his marriage, he certainly looks to have been born mid 1830s in Thurso parish in Caithness, not the early 1820s.

I think by 1851, he was already working away from home. Possible entry for him in 1851, living at the Munro household:

John Mcintosh, 14, errand boy, b. Thurso
Address: Chapelhill, Nigg, Ross and Cromarty

The 1841 census is harder to search in. Can't easily see anything so far for him.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 13 11:36 BST (UK) »
Leap of faith in the absence of anything more concrete except a hunch from what I see!

I think this might be John with family in 1841 in Tarbart, Ross & Cromarty:

Ann Mcintosh 40 midwife
Flora Mcintosh 67 b. Scotland
Barbara Mcintosh 12 b. Scotland
Andrew Mcintosh 9 b. Scotland
John Mcintosh 7 b. Scotland
Address: Portmahomack, Tarbart, Ross & Cromarty

The 1841 census is the most limited in terms of info. You should as either born in the county the census took place or born in Scotland. The entry above, Ann shows as born in R&C and the rest of the household not. Also, relationships within the household were not given.

The reason I think this may John's family is because:

- We have the most likely entry for John McIntosh b. Thurso and working away from home in 1851 in a place in R&C.
- I found an 1851 entry for a Daniel McIntosh 15, b. Thurso, working away from home as a stable boy at a farm in Tarbat which made me wonder if he was also a brother.

This Daniel didn't show in the McIntosh household in 1841, but I found this entry in R&C for a Daniel, which made me wonder if he may be staying with Ann Ross' family?

Andrew Ross 49, farmer
Helen Ross 47
Alexander Ross 17
James Ross 16
Anne Ross 14
Helen Ross 10
Andrew Ross 9
Johan Ross 5
Daniel Mcintosh 3 b. Scotland
Address: Arboll, Tarbat, Ross & Cromarty

And that is far as I have got with my guesses!

I wonder why the reference to merchant seamen's records for Daniel Snr.? Maybe connected to this https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCQW-99Y but there are no details there to know anything really.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
My last one promise for now  ;)

Supporting entries for that family in Portmahomack being the correct one for John. I think this might be another brother of John, in the 1851 census -everyone apart from George born in Tarbat:

George McKintosh 28 sailor b. Thurso
Pegg McIntosh 27
Daniel McIntosh 7
Flora McIntosh 4
Ann McIntosh 2
Kenneth McIntosh 1
Address: Portmahomack, Tarbat, R&C

If you haven't come across this already, Scottish naming pattern of children can sometimes give you clues as to whether you are pointing in the right direction, with the names and order of names given to children. Not always followed in strict order, or at all sometimes, but surprising how ofter it comes pretty close to right clues on maternal and paternal grandparents - see this link for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

Monica

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 13 11:54 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :) You really are going to phenomenal lengths Monica I'm so grateful. I also agree that this is the right family for a Mackintosh to be staying with (Daniel Main Mackintosh was married to Anne Ross)
re the merchant seamen index this is what my late cousin sent me -  in the Index to Merchant Seamen 1845-54, entry no BT 113/85 ; Register Ticket No 168244, Daniel Main Mackintosh born Nairn 1811. Capacity -fisherman: hair-brown; complexion - dark: eyes-grey. First went to sea 1820. When unemployed resides at Nairn. Issued at Inverness 1.7.1845. Age when ticketed 34 yrs. Can  write.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Familysearch shows:

Daniel McIntosh married Anne Ross 27/7/1819 Tarbat, R & C.

Children:

George b.29/11/1820, bp.8/12/1820 Wick, Caithness
John bp.10/7/1822 Thurso, Caithness (must have died)
Flora bp.17/4/1824 Thurso
Daniel bp.18/12/1826 Thurso
Barbara bp.22/12/1828 Thurso
Andrew b.27/8/1831, bp.29/8/1831 Thurso
John b.21/8/1833, bp.22/8/1833 Thurso

So, this ties in nicely with the 1841 census details posted by Monica at 11.36 (Flora should be 17 not 67).

By 1851 - living in Tarbat - Ann has remarried to a William Sutherland and only McIntosh with them is Barbara - aged shown as 20 but should read 22.

Ann Sutherland died 9/9/1866 in Tarbat (aged 76) - shown as widow, formerly McIntosh.  Cause of Death 'Ailing for years'.   Her parents are given as Andrew Ross and Flora nee Sutherland.   In formant of death was son George McIntosh.

According to 1851/1861 census Ann was born in Nigg, R & C - from census and death entry her age various between 1791 and 1796! 

I don't think the Nairn man is yours at all, I'm afraid.   Your family seemed to have no connection to Nairn.   With Daniel and Ann's youngest child b.1833 and no trace of him in 1841 she may well have been a widow already.   (Sometime between 1841 and 1851 she remarries to William Sutherland.)

With their first child being George born 1820 the Scottish naming tradition would suggest that Daniel's father was a George.   Going by the age of his wife, and date of marriage - 1819 - Daniel likely to have been born ca.1791-1801.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 May 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
That is great to have such confirmation and new info too Annette  :)

Like you, don't think that the Daniel from Nairn is correct. However, Daniel, father, does seem to have been a sailor which is likely why research seems to have gone down that way.

Monica

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica & Annette,
I'm getting confused now, but agree that the Nairn Daniel might not be my guy. I had the info about him from my cousin, but no documents. Will try getting birth/marriage certs to see if that clears anything up. Thanks for all you help. It's been amazing!
Janice :)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 May 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
I've just downloaded John's Death certificate, He was John McIntosh, Mason's labourer, married to Margaret Urquhart.
Died 25th October 1894 (8.25pm) at Tradespark, Nairn, aged 54 years. His father was Daniel McIntosh, Ships carpenter, deceased. Mother Annie McIntosh, MS Ross, deceased. Died of Liver Disease of an unknown duration. Informant was Jamie McIntosh, Son of (Clary, Dulnain Bridge, Grantown - very difficult to read) Death registered 29th Oct 1894 at Nairn.
James appears as a 1 year old in the 1881 Census, so would have been 13 when his father died. Probably wouldn't expect him to know his grandmother had remarried, especially as she died long before he was born.
I'll have a bit of fun learning how to navigate the Scotlands people site & hopefully get a bit more info. will try to look for Daniel mcIntosh - ships Carpenter.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 May 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
I've just had a closer look at John's death cert, & think his age is 59, not 54, which fits in a lot better.
terrible writing!